Recommendations? General lookover/advice and probably fretwork, nut and setup in Hertfordshire area

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
First off, yes, @FelineGuitars are very much top of my list based on many comments on here and @Guitar_Slinger 's recent testimonial. But ... Croydon is something of a pain in the arse to get to from here (pretty much diametrically opposite the place, with London smack in the middle). So, is there anyone else that people could give solid recommendations, ideally within a 30-45 minute drive of Hertford?

Changing strings on my faithful LP Studio at the weekend it struck me that after 21 years of passive neglect, it could probably do with some attention. The nut has always looked a bit Friday afternoon, and the first few frets all now have string grooves after two decades of ham-fisted abuse. It's not unplayable, but I do owe it some love; at some point this year it would be good to get it sorted, so this is a short-list building exercise that will allow me to weigh up personal convenience, available time/practicality, and likely positive outcome ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Dave at Essex Amp Repairs in Witham - they do Peach amps and he's a good guitar tech
     L.A. Guitars - Whetstone N20 ....expensive but very well known craft Luthiers for the last 35 years
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    LA Guitars in N.London might not be too bad a run to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    @IvisonGuitars is, I believe, near Worcester. He does repairs and set ups, Gibsons a speciality.

J Davey guitars near Wolverhampton is used by several forum members. Also quite near where my mother lives so you could pop in and see her. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    Giggear in Harlow.  Barrie (the tech) used to work for Machinehead Music in Hitchin before Jeff sold it on.

He does great work
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    @IvisonGuitars is, I believe, near Worcester. He does repairs and set ups, Gibsons a speciality.

J Davey guitars near Wolverhampton is used by several forum members. Also quite near where my mother lives so you could pop in and see her. 
    Did you misread Hertfordshire as Herefordshire? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader

I’m actually based in Worcester but cover Hereford too...however, I think it might all be academic in this case :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

I’m actually based in Worcester but cover Hereford too...however, I think it might all be academic in this case :)
    I’m pretty sure @Snags could get to Croydon quicker than Wolverhampton or Worcester :)
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    edited April 2019
    The Guitar Engineer...

https://www.theguitarengineer.co.uk/

Dan is great and has worked on loads of my stuff.. very reasonable prices and top quality..

Takes me 35 mins from Welwyn to get to him.. 

Si
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297

Ahh, yes I did :anguished: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    I’m pretty sure @Snags could get to Croydon quicker than Wolverhampton or Worcester :)
    Evidently you've never experienced the delights of the M25 south of the M40...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    Terry Chapman in Stevenage?
  • SRD81SRD81 Frets: 310
    I can recommend Ian Allerton - http://guitar-works.co.uk/ He’s based in Albury, just outside Bishops Stortford, which is pretty close to you. Also +1 for Terry Chapman in Stevenage.
  • gary_macgary_mac Frets: 66
  • I can highly recommend Paul Cuthbert. He is based in Flint Cross, which is in between Royston and Duxford.

https://www.paulcuthbertguitars.co.uk/
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.