Next amp build. Something Blackfacey?

Righto.. Following my successful 5e3 build in January, between how much I enjoyed it (and how much I didn't electrocute myself!) I'm now looking at the next build. 

I'm thinking something blackface, either a Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb, based on the simple logic that those are the things I tend to gravitate towards of late, and would likely be the basis of whatever I might buy next if I was getting anything new. 

I've always preferred Deluxes as a rule, so that's the more likely option, though obviously is a more complex build. In an ideal world I'd probably have a single-channel Deluxe with a bright switch, maybe a mids knobs and definitely built-in attenuator, but that's getting a bit unlikely in terms of off-shelf kit builds (something like the Vintage Sound SC22 would be perfection but they don't sell kits any more). The Princeton is tempting as the single-channel small amp thing (albeit I'd want a 1x12), but I have a nagging feeling I still prefer Deluxes, so I'm in the middle on it. 

Next question is where to get a kit... I'm not in the UK, so anything I buy will inevitably involve shipping and customs so I'm open to recommendations. I used Trinity for the 5e3 but they don't do anything appropriate this time.

Thoughts please!
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Build a Dumble.

Where did you get your 5e3 kit from?
    I fancy giving it a go.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27118
    edited April 2019
    octatonic said:
    Build a Dumble.

Where did you get your 5e3 kit from?
    I fancy giving it a go.

D Maybe the next-next one. I have a feeling that's another step more complex...

The 5e3 was from these guys - http://trinityamps.com/ (They do an ODS too...!)

Not the cheapest option, but great recommendations combined with really clear instructions made it worth it imo.  The only thing I found difficult was the chassis-mounted bits; the 5e3 chassis is pretty small, so it's tricky doing the last few connections. I expect a blackface to be a little easier on that front, though obviously more complex electronically. 

It's good fun  
    Hmm, now I've started googling and seen this potentially-glorious thing... 20W of Dumble-ish fun

http://www.ceriatone.com/overtone-lunchbox/

I can see this getting expensive over the next couple of years. Is this how it starts, @RiftAmps?? D 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    tFB Trader
    Hmm, now I've started googling and seen this potentially-glorious thing... 20W of Dumble-ish fun

I can see this getting expensive over the next couple of years. Is this how it starts, @RiftAmps?? D 
    I'm afraid so.

Speak to Modulus about his kits, they're superb.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

RiftAmps said:

I'm afraid so.

Speak to Modulus about his kits, they're superb.
    Ta, will do. I knew I'd forgotten someone else here :) 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9655
    Check out Modulus’s blackface Princeton Reverb...