Help me find a replacement bridge/tailpiece...

What's Hot
I have one of the 1st Chinese run Chapman ML-2's.

The bridge and tailpiece are dog shit but I'm struggling to figure out what size pieces I need.

Can anyone, in very simple terms, help me understand what I need to measure and what those figures mean? I don't know how to figure out what's already in there.

I'm totally lost in what I'm supposed to be looking for!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    Slimbert said:
    Chinese ... bridge and tailpiece are dog shit
    Makes a change from cheese, I suppose. ;)

Obvious question. In what way are the stock parts "dog shit"? Sloppy fit, wears too easily, inserts pulling out under string tension, saddle notches getting too big?

Slimbert said:
    Can anyone, in very simple terms, help me understand what I need to measure and what those figures mean?
    First move, inspect the underside of the bridge and tailpiece. They may have numbers engraved or embossed on them. Manufacturers such as Sung-il and Ping provide precise dimensional diagrams of their products.

Second move, measure the distance (centre-to-centre) between the studs for the Tune-o-Matic style bridge and for stopbar string anchoring tailpiece.

You will also need to measure the diameters of the studs themselves and, possibly, the thread pitches of the inserts that are in the top of the guitar.

I imagine that all of the parts will be Metric. The majority of modestly priced replacement parts will also be Metric. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    Can you post a picture of the bridge and tailpiece? They are likely very standard dimensions, 8 mm threaded posts with a 74 mm post spacing on the bridge and 82 mm post spacing for the tailpiece.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    The main two problems are that it's snapping strings (I use 12-60 at C standard. This seldom happens on any of my other guitars) and the general quality/fit/stability is Pretty bad.

I'll get some photos uploaded asap.

Thanks for all your replies!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    Slimbert said:
    snapping strings
    Where in particular? You probably have some rough or sharp edges coming into contact with the strings.

Slimbert said:
    I'll get some photos uploaded asap.
    Thank you. Your specific bridge and tailpiece adjustments may have some bearing on the problem.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.