Japanese suppliers and CITIES

I have been looking at the viability of buying a Bacchus or Tokai direct from Japan.

Does anyone know of a supplier or shop that will do the CITIES work required to export?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    you can use a proxy service like rinkya/fromjapan etc. they won't care about CITES, they just want to sell, so they'll ship the guitar for you. (obviously proceed at your own risk).

there are also a couple of dealers on reverb that will do it. But again your own risk. It's worked for me on innumerous guitars though.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    I would wait for the CITES meeting due in May - there was suggestion that an exemption would be passed for musical instruments
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14275
    tFB Trader
    I would wait for the CITES meeting due in May - there was suggestion that an exemption would be passed for musical instruments
    I'd agree - Will be good timing if it is no longer required - I suppose we'll no more later today, but with the EU Brexit issue to be resolved, there is  a potential situation with a NO DEAL an/or no customs union agreement, that CITES will be required for all such guitars, with rosewood, leaving and entering the UK/EU - Be it private or business sales - Be it new/used - A mess for all
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Although decisions taken at CITES meetings rarely come into effect instantly... not sure about rule amendments per se, but whenever they add something to the index it's usually Jan 2nd of the following year that it's actually put into practice.
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 329
    I bought a guitar from Japan in December 2017. Had it shipped to the USA but there was no cites required they said, shipped out the same day, arrived in USA 3 days later, and on top of all that, no VAT or Tax charges! Packed it in my suitcase, and brought it over to the UK and it's my best guitar (fender style).

I think it's on a seller by seller case, some of them will say it is needed, some won't mention it, but always it's at your own risk
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    If musical instruments get an exemption at the May meeting it won't become law until September.

Doesn't ishibashi still ship rosewood? Their English language store is a bit sparse on info but for guitars with (what I assume would be) Brazilian rosewood boards they have a disclaimer that the guitar cannot get a CITES certificate. I take that to mean they can get CITES certificates for Indian rosewood.
    Just so you know the Japanese export permit will cost approx £20 (3000JPY) and takes 2-3 weeks to process. The UK import permit costs £74 and takes 5-14 days to process. You need the export permit (or a pdf copy at least) to apply for the import permit.

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    Ishibashi doesn't ship rosewood unless they can issue a CITES certificate, for which you will have to wait, after paying for the guitar. If the guitar comes from their u-box, they will not ship rosewood at all.
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
    I was considering importing from Japan and asked a couple of shops about CITES. Guitar Planet said:

This guitar has rosewood fingerboard which we cannot export.
    Just for your reference, if we ship this guitar, it will be about  16,600yen.
    And you may need to pay import tax when you receive guitar.

Real Standard Music:

It's a very delicate matter about CITES ( as the guitar include 
    rosewood), which needs to be dealt with carefully.

All rosewood and some bubinga has to be accompanied by loads of 
    paperwork from 2017.

CITES 2017: The Rosewood Rules and What They Mean For You (And Your Guitar)
    https://www.gearnews.com/cites-2017-guitars-new-regulations-rosewood-species/

New CITES Regulations For All Rosewood Species
    https://reverb.com/news/new-cites-regulations-for-all-rosewood-species

I can apply for CITES Certificate, but it takes time maybe for 4 weeks 
    because Ministry of Economy is crowded for many application.

I would consider importing from Spain instead, far simpler. This shop has some nice examples:

https://www.fanaticguitars.com/en/brand/tokai-guitars/?orderby=price-desc
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
    I was considering importing from Japan and asked a couple of shops about CITES. Guitar Planet said:

This guitar has rosewood fingerboard which we cannot export.
    Just for your reference, if we ship this guitar, it will be about  16,600yen.
    And you may need to pay import tax when you receive guitar.

Real Standard Music:

It's a very delicate matter about CITES ( as the guitar include 
    rosewood), which needs to be dealt with carefully.

All rosewood and some bubinga has to be accompanied by loads of 
    paperwork from 2017.

CITES 2017: The Rosewood Rules and What They Mean For You (And Your Guitar)
    https://www.gearnews.com/cites-2017-guitars-new-regulations-rosewood-species/

New CITES Regulations For All Rosewood Species
    https://reverb.com/news/new-cites-regulations-for-all-rosewood-species

I can apply for CITES Certificate, but it takes time maybe for 4 weeks 
    because Ministry of Economy is crowded for many application.

I would consider importing from Spain instead, far simpler. This shop has some nice examples:

https://www.fanaticguitars.com/en/brand/tokai-guitars/?orderby=price-desc
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    edited April 2019
    Just slipped a Brazilian rosewood heavy acoustic from Japan through customs without the package even being opened or looked at twice. Yes I chanced it but was pretty confident they don't care for individual instruments as much as big/industrial volumes.

I'm not suggesting you also 'break the law' but be aware they aren't as fastidious as they might make out.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
    Just enter "fresh whale parts" on the papers, you'll have no problem with the Japanese customs.