NAD - Blackstar Artist 15

markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
edited April 2019 in Amps
Having recently|(ish) got back out playing and joined a new band and after a few rehearsals made it clear (to me) that the Katana I had wasn't that great cutting through and especially when I added the Line 6 M13 into the mix. It was great at home, but once cranked up it all just went a bit 'meh' and didn't inspire me. I tried various settings, tones, even using a second amp but it just wasn't quite right. 

So...I started googling (as you do) looking for something reasonably priced, with good head room and just a great clean sound without too many options. Having previously had a Hot Rod Deluxe I assumed I wanted something Fender flavoured, but couldn't be bothered with the weight of an HRD and didn't fancy the Blues Jr. 

I can't even remember now what was my second choice in the end, but I came upon a second hand Blackstar Artis 15. Now...no-one in the world seems to use them so getting info that was relevant was a bit of a challenge, however the feature set looked just right. Not too big, (allegedly) great tones, simple set up, 2 channel etc etc. This one was also in blonde which I think for my Mod/ Indie/ 60s band will look great! So...I took a bit of a punt having listened to some you tube clips.

It arrived and plugging in, straight away it's marvellous. Really lovely clean tone on channel 1....slightly pushed mids on this one, with just a simple volume and tone control. Channel 2 is a bit more featured with Volume, drive, bass, middle, treble then the ISF feature. I wasn't sure about the ISF feature to be honest, but in use there are plenty of options depending on what you like so I think I'm going to like it.

Overall (and I know this is only a couple of days in and I've not used it at rehearsal yet) I really really like it, and am a bit surprised there seems to be very little use of them. I've also managed to set it up with a second cab (an Orange PPC112) for a bit more spread if I need it, and just because I could!

Anyone else using one?

https://i.imgur.com/g8Y9uxb.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I've got the ten year anniversary model in red.
    It's truly superb. I was honestly amazed by it having previously played a lot of blackstar amps and not being too impressed
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    See ICBM's diatribe about "muddy" amps!  I am not surprised he lumped virtually all of the Blackstar range in there and I suspect, as does he, know why.
    In all of that pretty long thread I don't think the Artist range came up? I was hoping it would because I suspect it is one amplifier that "escaped" the house voicing.  I also think the latest range of 10 watt single ended amps might sound brighter but they do seem bloody expensive to me!

I might see if I can finagle the scheamtic of the Artist out of Phil but you can be sure it won't get posted here!

Dave.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17639
    tFB Trader
    I think the name caused a lot of confusion with the artisan amps and many people who they would appeal to probably worry they are voiced like an HT and avoid them.
    I think the name caused a lot of confusion with the artisan amps and many people who they would appeal to probably worry they are voiced like an HT and avoid them.
    I agree, the name was a daft idea (if indeed it was accidental? The front panel is a straight rip of the Artisan down to the 4 input jacks)  I saw a chassis in a corner pre release and was told it was developed from the HT-40 but with 6L6 output valves. Clearly the two, two level inputs mean it is rather different from the 40.

I actually expected and would like to have seen a PCB based Artisan because I think if they ditched the thermionic rect for a bridge that would save a lot of money, both for the loss of valve and base but also much less complex mains transformer.

The Artisan's peculiar (unique?) signal topology would make an FX loop tricky but I think a switch would solve that.

Dave.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    The Artist range is superb. You’d be surprised who is using them... a lot of ex Fender players mainly.

The middle-focussed voicing of the Mk1 Venue range is history, btw. The Mk2s are a totally different design, from the pen of a different designer. The new HT20 mk2 is pretty spectacular imho and the vertical 2x12 is wayyyyy better looking than other makers’ recent offerings... but hey, just my opinion.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    I tried one today in a music shop for a good 30 minutes.  Channel 2 was great , channel 1 a bit meh imo. If they had put the eq and ISF on channel 1 as well then I would buy one .
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Nice one Mark. I looked at these a while back too. Didn't pull the trigger though.
    Who you playing with?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72432
    ecc83 said:
    See ICBM's diatribe about "muddy" amps!  I am not surprised he lumped virtually all of the Blackstar range in there and I suspect, as does he, know why.
    In all of that pretty long thread I don't think the Artist range came up? I was hoping it would because I suspect it is one amplifier that "escaped" the house voicing.
    No, I haven't tried one yet. I will keep an open mind until I do...

ecc83 said:
    I agree, the name was a daft idea (if indeed it was accidental? The front panel is a straight rip of the Artisan down to the 4 input jacks)  I saw a chassis in a corner pre release and was told it was developed from the HT-40 but with 6L6 output valves. Clearly the two, two level inputs mean it is rather different from the 40.
    It only has one input jack... in fact, the entire panel layout and feature set is identical to the earlier HT20.

Including the rather awkwardly-positioned master volume and reverb controls.

It doesn't mean it sounds the same of course! From what markslade07 says, I very much suspect that it doesn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Totally different board, transformers... everything... to a Mk1 HT-20, including designer!!!!

VERY different sounding amps.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    thomasw88 said:
    I tried one today in a music shop for a good 30 minutes.  Channel 2 was great , channel 1 a bit meh imo. If they had put the eq and ISF on channel 1 as well then I would buy one .
    Yep, I think I prefer channel 2, probably as it’s a bit more flexible. Be interesting to see how they are at rehearsal volume though.
    RMJ said:
    Nice one Mark. I looked at these a while back too. Didn't pull the trigger though.
    Who you playing with?
    Cheers Rich. Playing with The Roughcut Rebels...Devizes/ Chippenham based...might get down your way at some point though. 
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836

ICBM said:

Including the rather awkwardly-positioned master volume and reverb controls.

It doesn't mean it sounds the same of course! From what markslade07 says, I very much suspect that it doesn't.
    Yep, they are a bit odd...but set and forget so not too worried.

Ive not played an HT20 so cant comment on those, but this one is definitely not muddy (to my ears anyway).
    Ooops! Must have got my panels crossed! Still has the Artisan panel design though.  Never noticed the master pot being by the input jack because we have the head and it ain't on that!

Dave.