Sometimes it is the small things..

RockerRocker Frets: 4985
.. that make a big difference.  And you won't get much smaller than a scratchplate fixing screw.  Repeated dismantling and reassembly of my Squier Tele resulted in one of the scratchplate fixing screws developing a 'sharp' top.  Not sharp enough to cut but sharp enough to irritate any time my strumming/picking hand brushed over it. As you may have guessed, it was the screw immediately below the bridge.  A quick fix would have been to move said screw to another part of the scratchplate.  But I removed it, filed the top of the screw head and replaced it.  Problem solved. It took longer to write this than the entire screw job [?].  Sadly that work did not make me any better at playing the guitar.  Maybe a new bridge would help....... 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Clearly you are a Man of Action. Deeds, not words define you.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Are you using the correct sized screwdriver?  If you weren't that's probably why it went sharp.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840

*DANGER* If you've filed off the electroplating from the screw head then the consequence may be that the exposed steel will eventually corrode into rust.

I recommend that the damaged screw be replaced with a new one to save any further worry. If you wish, you may PM me your address and I will post you a brand new one free of charge.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    JerkMoans said:
    Clearly you are a Man of Action. Deeds, not words define you.
    :), sadly not much action today as I am on strong medication for flibetus.

Are you using the correct sized screwdriver?  If you weren't that's probably why it went sharp.
    Yes, I have more screwdrivers than Screwfix!  I think the screw itself is made from soft metal and repeated removals and replacements distorted the screw head.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum