Reverend Soft Spring - Bigsby B5 anyone used one?

BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4876
As above, anyone got any feedback on these. The Bigsby on my Lag is great but slightly stiff in use so looking at trying one of these, the arm moves slightly in the mechanism so I need to tighten that up to limit its movement as well. Looking for tips on making it a tad smoother. Trying to avoid buying a BiggsFix!

Cheers,

Al

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 39
    Fitted a reverend spring to the bigsby on my epi 56 pro, makes a he'll of a difference, the arm actually moves when you wiggle it.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5447
    Yep, worth it IMO. Not so expensive that it’s not worth a try to see if you prefer the feel. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7160
    I bought one last week and fitted it to a B5, I wasn't that blown away by it to be honest. Worth a punt for the price.

Just thought it might help, but I think its okay, just not that amazing.
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4876
    Cool, thanks guys I shall get one ordered I think!

• steersteer Frets: 1196
    Put one into my Electromtic Gretsch, and it makes a big difference. Well worth it.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Hated the bigsby stiffness. Bought one and it was a big improvement for me. Having said that, I'm still looking for something even springier ideally.
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    You'd think an industrial spring of the correct Bigsable coefficient would exist. I've looked on spring manufacturer's sites but they don't seem to be made in the right dimensions. Someone should get a hundred made in the UK.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    Tightening the arm nut properly is the key. Many Bigsbys have a washer missing - there's supposed to be one on the underside of the cam, that fits into the recess under the small tensioner spring. If you fit that and grease it properly you can get the nut tighter and it will still move, without the tensioner spring binding and working the nut loose.

Personally I can't stand soft springs in them, I've often made replacement stiffer ones from cut-down old air rifle springs...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Cool, thanks John. Any idea what size the washer might be at all? I might get one on order and do what you say. I can get a good 1-2mm movement out if the arm before the spring compresses and that's part of the issue really. So hopefully that will help. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72572
    Boromedic said:
    Cool, thanks John. Any idea what size the washer might be at all?
    Er... no, I just tip out my vast collection of random ones and look for something the right size! It's not critical as long as it fits over the arm bolt and inside the recess, all it does is stops the spring snagging. You can then tighten the nut fully until it reaches the shoulder on the bolt and the spring is squashed flat, and it won't undo itself.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7929
    They’re great. Also really like the BricksBigsFix soft spring.  If you have a tension bar Bigsby (B50/B70 etc), then also get the Bigsby Tuning Stabiliser too. 
    ICBM said:
    Boromedic said:
    Cool, thanks John. Any idea what size the washer might be at all?
    Er... no, I just tip out my vast collection of random ones and look for something the right size! It's not critical as long as it fits over the arm bolt and inside the recess, all it does is stops the spring snagging. You can then tighten the nut fully until it reaches the shoulder on the bolt and the spring is squashed flat, and it won't undo itself.
    No worries, I lack a collection of washers full stop but will find something to fill the gap, lol. Cheers as ever.

TheMarlin said:
    They’re great. Also really like the BricksBigsFix soft spring.  If you have a tension bar Bigsby (B50/B70 etc), then also get the Bigsby Tuning Stabiliser too. 
    Cheers dude, will see how the spring goes first.