Speaker Suggestion

kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
I recently bought a '68 Custom Princeton Reverb and had a 12" WGS G12C/S fitted. It sounds great however it's a bit on the bassy side. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 12" speaker that would tame the bass a bit?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72565
    Celestion Rocket 50? That will kill the bottom-end... along with everything else!

More seriously, what sort of sound are you aiming for - British, American, vintage, modern, etc?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    ICBM said:
    Celestion Rocket 50? That will kill the bottom-end... along with everything else!

More seriously, what sort of sound are you aiming for - British, American, vintage, modern, etc?
    I suppose vintage American, I just wanted to make the overall EQ a bit more balanced. Is this possible with a speaker change? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72565
    kswilson89 said:

I suppose vintage American, I just wanted to make the overall EQ a bit more balanced. Is this possible with a speaker change? 
    In that case try a Jensen Tornado - that's a very balanced and surprisingly not all that 'modern' sounding speaker despite having a neodymium magnet. Also ridiculously light. 

@camf has one in his Princeton and it sounds fantastic.

(The original model, I haven't tried any of the 'stealth' ones yet.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31649
    Leave the speaker, bung a 12AY7 in V3. It improves the reverb, too.