R Blackmore

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    rsvmark said:

He preferred Vox to Marshall and said that at one point his main stage amp was an AC30 rehoused into a Marshall.
    Interesting. I seem to recall Staus Quo did this and re housed AC30s in Marshall head shells. Does anyone know why? Obviously they preferred the sound but was it an image thing (some bs about 'real rock stars play marshalls' or was it a commercial marketing deal with Marshall? 
    Endorsement deal with Marshall. And at the time, very easy to do - unlike with Blackmore in the early 70s - because the Vox amps of the time were actually contracted to be made in the Marshall factory... so Quo's amps were still all-Marshall products really.

scrumhalf said:
    Didn't Marshall do a 200w head becuase of a request from Blackmore?
    I'm not sure if it was at his request, but he was certainly one of the few users of the 200W Major. The reason I think it may not have been at his request is that the *original* 200W model wasn't the Major, it was simply called the 'Marshall 200', although is more popularly now known as the 'Pig'. Mick Ronson is the only pro player I know of who used one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    ICBM said:
    rsvmark said:

He preferred Vox to Marshall and said that at one point his main stage amp was an AC30 rehoused into a Marshall.
    Interesting. I seem to recall Staus Quo did this and re housed AC30s in Marshall head shells. Does anyone know why? Obviously they preferred the sound but was it an image thing (some bs about 'real rock stars play marshalls' or was it a commercial marketing deal with Marshall? 
    Endorsement deal with Marshall. And at the time, very easy to do - unlike with Blackmore in the early 70s - because the Vox amps of the time were actually contracted to be made in the Marshall factory... so Quo's amps were still all-Marshall products really.

scrumhalf said:
    Didn't Marshall do a 200w head becuase of a request from Blackmore?
    I'm not sure if it was at his request, but he was certainly one of the few users of the 200W Major. The reason I think it may not have been at his request is that the *original* 200W model wasn't the Major, it was simply called the 'Marshall 200', although is more popularly now known as the 'Pig'. Mick Ronson is the only pro player I know of who used one.
    There’s a Blackmore story ( possibly as dodgy as many of his other stories) that he was invited to the Marshall factory to try out the 200W and the workers went on strike because of the noise he was making. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Dawk Stillwell was the man to ask but since he died it looks like his website has stopped working.