Problem with my nut.

breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10321

The other day I swapped the horrible black plasticy nut on my Les Paul to a lovely bone one, but seeing as it was too high as it came, and not having any nut files, I decided to sand a slither off the bottom of the nut. When I took the old one out, it broke into several bits so I wasn't able to accurately measure the new one against it, so took my time and shaved off the bottom bit by bit. I've used this method numerous times and always got good results but this time,unfortunately, I still managed to take too much off. Now all the strings are very slightly buzzing when played open. Because I'm tight I don't really want to buy a new nut, so thought about putting a small shim under the nut. Only needs to be about 1/2mm.

Is this a good idea, or would I be better off buying a new nut and starting again. Was thinking of using a small offcut of mahogany veneer for the shim. 
Laugh, love, live, learn. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72558
    1/2mm is a *huge* difference in nut height... chances are that if the guitar isn't unplayable - not just a little buzz on the open strings - then it doesn't need to be raised anywhere near that much. Wood veneer will be far too thick.

The way I do it is to superglue a piece of paper very firmly to the bottom of the nut - plenty of glue so it soaks the paper thoroughly and produces a composite when it's hardened, then cut and shape it back to the size of the nut.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10321

Thanks @ICBM I think you're right regarding the 1/2mm.The strings do clear the first fret so the nut nut isn't that far off from the correct height.I'll give your idea a go. What type of glue would you recommend?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72558

What type of glue would you recommend?
    Standard thin superglue - it needs to soak into the paper. An Ernie Ball string packet is ideal. I stick it on by putting the paper on a plastic bag that the glue won't stick to, coat an area slightly larger than the nut, then press the nut down hard onto it and hold it until it's set. Then when it's fully hardened (an hour or two to be sure) cut round the nut and then file the edges back to smooth.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Brilliant. Thanks mate. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33831
    Thin superglue meaning the runny stuff, not the gel.

Had a go today using your method @ICBM and it's worked a treat.

Thanks for the knowledge mate. Much appreciated. 

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Nobody done the 'go see a shrink' quip yet?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.