Fender Classic Player Strat Prices WTF ???

What's Hot

Comments

• mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Anyone remember new guitar prices from the 'majors' going down?  :/
    2015 gibsons
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    mark123 said:
    2015 gibsons
    Oh yes, 2015. Henry J’s finest hour.

Shredder necks, unreliable robot tuners, ugly Les Paul headstock sigs., hologram, zero fret, oh and a twenty-nine per cent price increase. 

The only reason for a price 'fall' was that they had to be discounted to hell, in order to move any of them. So I'll stick by my assertion  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2959
    mark123 said:
    2015 gibsons
    Oh yes, 2015. Henry J’s finest hour.

Shredder necks, unreliable robot tuners, ugly Les Paul headstock sigs., hologram, zero fret, oh and a twenty-nine per cent price increase. 

The only reason for a price 'fall' was that they had to be discounted to hell, in order to move any of them. So I'll stick by my assertion  ;)

Actually, that's no the whole picture. Taking the SG Standard as an example, and using $ prices to avoid exchange rate fluctuations:

2013 - $1,299 (with a Tronical tuner as a paid upgrade)
    2014 - $1,299 (including a Tronical tuner in the price)
    2015 - $1,879 (including a Tronical tuner in the price)
    2016 - $1,199 (no Tronical tuner, no hard case)
    2017 - $1,399 (no Tronical tuner, but with hard case)

So there was a price drop, not just from 2015 to 2016, but also from 2013 to 2016, and the overall price increase from 2013 to 2017 is only $100 - much less than most people seem to think, and the specs from 2013 & 2017 are pretty close.

Of course, this is also not the whole picture... Other specs changed too, but 2014 represented a price drop, as the $100 tuner upgrade was now included (even if it wasn't wanted!). 2016 was a price drop over the previous three years, not just 2015's price hike.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dollar prices don't reflect the UK pricing experience, but I take what you say on board, thanks for the information.
    BTW, was it a Gibson SG Standard 2016 HP or Gibson SG Standard 2016 T  ;) 

Probably like with @gringopig' s recent pickup test, the 'perception' that prices just go up is generally true, if not universally 
    :) 

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    i get that prices will naturally go up over time, but Fenders are way above any previous growth, there's no way i'd pay £800 for a Mexican strat or Tele

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    i get that prices will naturally go up over time, but Fenders are way above any previous growth, there's no way i'd pay £800 for a Mexican strat or Tele
    In ten years you will probably be changing that to 1500
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    edited May 2019
    Rickenbacker and Gretsch prices have rocketed up in past 3 years too.

Weak £,  increased US costs, Mexico and Far East getting more expensive to make in.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12399
    I think that sort of makes sense, but then classic players and roadworns are at least as good as US specials and standards and they cost more.  I'm more interested in what I get for the money.  
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    There are so many s/h minters around why would you buy new anyway? Nearly AVRI money on the used market that is (in Yoda voice) :) .
    I have literally never seen a second hand bargain on a guitar I want, I think I have terrible luck.

When I do see something interesting, it's usually "collection only from Lands End" or "collection preferred, will meet anywhere between Kyle of Localsh and Fort William"
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    What do the American ones have over the Mexicans that make them worth 1500 but the Mexicans not worth 800?
    There are so many s/h minters around why would you buy new anyway? Nearly AVRI money on the used market that is (in Yoda voice) :) .
    I have literally never seen a second hand bargain on a guitar I want, I think I have terrible luck.

When I do see something interesting, it's usually "collection only from Lands End" or "collection preferred, will meet anywhere between Kyle of Localsh and Fort William"
    It always seems weird that about 80% of UK guitarists seem to live in Scotland!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    munckee said:

It always seems weird that about 80% of UK guitarists seem to live in Scotland!
    Or rather 80% of guitar bargains on the market are collection only from Scotland!

I think that I must have got your guitar luck allowance. Every guitar I own has been a bargain or it simply wouldn't be bought.
    Also being in the North East & having relatives in Scotland helps  ;)
    Hope things change soon for you.
    Also, might you not be able to hook up with another fretboarder in an area close to 'the bargain' & work out a shipping deal?
    Too optimistic... :s
    Hey there needs to be players like @darthed1981 and I buying high and selling low to keep the guitar community in bargains  : )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Guitarnomics 101  :)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793

I think that I must have got your guitar luck allowance. Every guitar I own has been a bargain or it simply wouldn't be bought.
    Also being in the North East & having relatives in Scotland helps  ;)
    Hope things change soon for you.
    Also, might you not be able to hook up with another fretboarder in an area close to 'the bargain' & work out a shipping deal?
    Too optimistic... :s
    All good points...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    edited April 2019
    Monumental (or mostly mental) mis-post.
    Apologies to all.

• Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 246
    Now go back 5+ years ago, customshop relic strats could be bought brand new for 2k in the major stores.  Now the same models are 3.5k.............................

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3982
    I still think they are good value for money. Mexican Fenders are great and the Classic Players are really well spec’d.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I only seem to buy new but always get a decent price - I think the key is to have an idea of what you want and take advantage of a price reduction (usually on the model year change) and be very happy ;)