Comments

• Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 624
    Arrogant much? I only got through about three pages of that...............

I inherited a set of his signature pick ups in a Strat and I really feel like taking them out and selling them as I wouldn`t want to be misconstrued as to actually liking him.......
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    He does come across as a bit of a knob - from the little I've seen or read about him. Fairly respectable list of guitarists though. Much more 'mainstream' than I was expecting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited April 2019
    11 pages?
    Haha.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 624
    From what little I have listened to his music all he does is just play fast? No feel, emotion or other silly things?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33872
    Jetsam1 said:
    From what little I have listened to his music all he does is just play fast? No feel, emotion or other silly things? 
    I've had to transcribe some Malmsteen over the years- when you sit down and work it out you see there are a lot of weird timings to his solos- odd groupings to notes to the bar- not broken down to groups of 4, 8 or 16.

Some folks like to attribute this to intention but my take on it is he is simply playing as fast as he can and doesn't really listen to anyone else except for having an escape route to the end of the solo where he hits the 1 of the bar (and he usually does).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • armitaanarmitaan Frets: 379
    There’s a couple of bits like “Arpeggios from Hell” I found useful as exercise for both hands but always felt like was a bit of a one-trick pony to me, though he’s obviously been massively influential on a lot of guitarists which is far more than most could say. He’s like a spotty fourteen year old teenager stuck in an old mans body these days, shame as if could grow up one day and stop being such a twat I’m sure he could actually make some music that might be worth listening to, he’s still doing the same stuff as did 30 years ago. 
  • doogz84doogz84 Frets: 206
    Jetsam1 said:

I read your post and thought "How can he be telling us who impressed him, and be arrogant about it?"

Then I read the article. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3082
    His pool area could do with a good go over with a pressure washer.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Did anyone catch the ‘blues’ track he did for guitarist years ago. Via did a track as well, and someone else as well - I can’t remember. I’m pretty sure he’s made career out of playing a character, and he’s probably a really nice guy who likes Ferrari’s, pool, vintage fenders and having a beer..... then again maybe not. But he gets people talking about him
  • doogz84doogz84 Frets: 206
    KDS said:
    Did anyone catch the ‘blues’ track he did for guitarist years ago. Via did a track as well, and someone else as well - I can’t remember. I’m pretty sure he’s made career out of playing a character, and he’s probably a really nice guy who likes Ferrari’s, pool, vintage fenders and having a beer..... then again maybe not. But he gets people talking about him
    Was that the vid where he kept going on about how there wasn't a blues scale anywhere in his blues song?
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Malmsteen sold his soul at the crossroads...

The Devil's got a wicked sense of humour.  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    doogz84 said:
    KDS said:
    Was that the vid where he kept going on about how there wasn't a blues scale anywhere in his blues song?
    Don’t remember a vid, but it did seem he was taking the piss. I seem to remember the blues track sounded like a training exercise. Vai’s attempted was reasonably i interesting and abit of fun. I seem to remember it was Ralph mctell as the 3rd guitarist. Very odd mix. May have been around Christmas edition, could be wrong though it was along time ago
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9936
    Being a fan of Paganini and Tchaikovsky myself, I can honestly say he has a lot of work still to do
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Mega famous guitarist in "I like other mega famous guitarists" shocker 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    Anyone who plays histrionic lead guitar on a strat through a cranked Marshall stack who says they aren't influenced by other guitarists needs to have a word with themselves
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

got as far as Angus young.

malsteen is a penis. he'll never shred a guitar like pachabel did.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23350
    edited April 2019
    Jetsam1 said:
    He does come across as a bit of a knob - from the little I've seen or read about him. Fairly respectable list of guitarists though. Much more 'mainstream' than I was expecting.
    Despite saying he wasn't influenced by any guitar players, blah, blah, blah... he is actually full of praise for the people he mentions in  his "list".  And it is an extremely mainstream list, which suggests to me that he really doesn't listen to many other guitar players - at least nowadays.  I do believe he was a lot more influenced by Blackmore, Roth and Hendrix than he's prepared to admit.

Yes he's a dick, but I don't hate the bloke, he is what he is and he's not going to change.  I think there is a bit of self-aware humour buried under all that hair, lard, leather and jewellery.

He's not the Donald Trump of metal, he's the Jeremy Clarkson of metal.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    He's a total tit, but there's no denying his ability. He kind of invented shred, his first album coming out even before Satriani's first. I wouldn't care to listen to 2 albums in a row, but pick out the odd best tracks and they are pretty amazing playing.

I rather like his arrogance, it's good for a laugh. I remember Guitar World asking him once what he thought of Mike McCready's lesson in the mag, and Yngwie's reply was "Someone should give him a lesson". 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72828
    axisus said:
    He's a total tit, but there's no denying his ability
    to play exactly the same stuff over and over again really really fast with virtually no reference to anything else other than the approximate rhythm.

It's like the ability to solve a Rubik's Cube in thirty seconds - purely learned manual dexterity with no need to understand how it actually works or use the skills in any other context.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom