Malmsteen is the Trump of metal.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6097
    We have gone for dinner and jammed together - the last time was a while ago now...

Visions of Al Di Meola hiding behind the couch every time Yngwie rings his doorbell.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Trilogy was one of my favourite albums when I first picked up a guitar as a young whipper-snapper. Can't beat having unattainable goals when you're starting out, eh?

A few years later he earned the dubious distinction of being the only person I've ever walked out of a gig on. There may have been other factors at play (it was a long time ago) but I think boredom was the main reason.

I still don't mind the odd track here and there.
    But he does come across as a bit of a dick, yes. I saw that headline in my news feed and thought, 'Yeah, I'll pass  thanks.' 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    I did see him live once just at a guitar show playing to backing tracks and it was quite wonderful. The ability to play the guitar very very fast and be very very angry at the same time was amazing. He complained about the monitors, the lights, the amp, anything he could think of really. It was quite dynamic and breathtaking. But he wouldn't know a song if it hit him on the head. 
    The stuff he recorded with Alcatraz is still listenable, great singer and Yngwie was kept in check more. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 786
    What made me laugh was he said a floyd rose kills the tone, (in the EVH part). He has a very compressed, highly overdriven processed sound so this i found odd.
    I think he laughs at himself too, perhaps not in the early days but he did set the benchmark for fast picking & neo classical styles if that's your bag. Probably having a great life. 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    I did see him live once just at a guitar show playing to backing tracks and it was quite wonderful. The ability to play the guitar very very fast and be very very angry at the same time was amazing. He complained about the monitors, the lights, the amp, anything he could think of really. It was quite dynamic and breathtaking. But he wouldn't know a song if it hit him on the head. 
    The stuff he recorded with Alcatraz is still listenable, great singer and Yngwie was kept in check more. 
    I saw him at a guitar show in Birmingham. He arrived late and complained about everything. His playing was spot on but he was certainly going through the motions.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Stevepage said:
    I saw him at a guitar show in Birmingham. He arrived late and complained about everything. His playing was spot on but he was certainly going through the motions.
    Probably same show. that style seemed to work a lot better live because it's visually impressive. I have a couple of Malmsteen tracks on compilation albums but when I've had them on after the initial play through those tracks always got skipped.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    Absolute weapon.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6150
    An average developer could program a robot to do what 'ingie' does. Ooh lots of very, very fast notes and some predictable vibrato in a pseudo classical style..
    Yawn.... zzzzz

Now trying to program a robot to play with feel.. that's a whole other ball game.
    ;)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Absolute weapon.
    This is ... a compliment?
  • Absolute weapons grade bellend
    FTFY ;)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    Ever since I saw a video of him in his home and the way he treated his guitars, I have no respect for the guy. Moron
  • GauGau Frets: 43
    Philly_Q said:

He's not the Donald Trump of metal, he's the Jeremy Clarkson of metal.

That's a good one mate :D :D
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Yngwie has been a walking parody for years now, and I suspect he knows it. I for one would definitely like to meet the guy as I think he'd be a riot.

Although don't get him mad as he'll UNLEASH DA FOCKIN FURY.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    edited April 2019
    My old guitar teacher used to work for total guitar back in the day. He interviewed him over the phone and gave the impression he was a huge egotist. Malmsteen stopped the interview and rushed off the phone, one of his ferrets had escaped and was swimming around his pool.

He gives back handed respect to Allan Holdsworth though, believes they are on an even plain....hmm
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom