Help with Strat choice

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15976
What is the closest budget Strat model with these specs? Talkin under 800 squidules

I may have asked a similar question before folks,  :)

I guess there are some must haves with regards to spec.....9.5 radius and rosewood fret board, not maple, are writ in stone

Lightweight would be good i guess as would a thin(ish) finish, last thing i want is a 1/4 inch plastic coating

I am having a wee look to see if i bond with Strats and if i found a great player with the above specs i might just swap out the pick ups to upgrade or buy a "proper" Strat if we both got along :)

The new fender player Strat looks good but i would just as easily go cheaper again if there was a better Strat out there.....

Thanks guys  :)
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    My son bought a roadhouse strat last year. Very nice guitar!
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3223
    Under 800 will get you a nice used US standard -they can often be had for 6-650 and seem to hold that price reasonably well if you decide it’s not for you.

Classic player strats are 9.5 if I recall correctly and seem to be on eBay for about 450 s/h.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15976
    Thanks TP......^   do some years of the STD meet the specs above?
    tae be or not tae be
    edited April 2019
    There will be guys here that know the spec far better than I do.

I’m pretty sure is all modern standards since the 70s have been a poly finish so you may need an avri or a classic laquer (mex) for a nitro finish. However, that doesn’t mean all modern ones are a thick poly finish. I’ve recently picked up a 2015 fsr US standard and the finish appears relatively thin and is showing signs of sinking, so thinner than I’d expected it to be when I purchased it. I’d estimate all modern standards to be a 9.5 board, my 2015 is also compound radiused (this run also has a soft v shape neck but that’s unusual) and rosewood hasn’t been a problem until very recently. The more recent years 2014/15 on iirc also have the custom shop fat 50s pickups, which are really good imo.

As to weight, that’s always so subjective but there is such a range in every batch -you may have to try a few or take a punt.

Sorry I’m not being of more help. Here’s mine anyway, I love it and I’ve never been a strat player:
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/157224850@N02/7u99ao

Thanks for that TP  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2402
    Keep an eye out for used Highway Ones - thin skin finish, modern radius, available with rosewood. 
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Pix baby....what could i expect to pay for an old HW1?
    tae be or not tae be
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I think the Player series are on the button .Thin paint, light weight ,good pickups  full block 22 fret 9.5. good colour choice but not rosewood only pau ferro .
    ^ the Paint job thinner on this one ya think Rossi?
    tae be or not tae be
    No connection to me but you should take a look at this in the classifieds:
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/152986/fs-ft-gretsch-6119-tennessee-rose-fender-us-std-hss#latest
    It’s a rather fine looking strat and in your budget.