Do any of you still buy Guitarist?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 464
    I've just tried the iPad version, no internet connection here, and can view the videos fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    DLM said:

, though I've also been reading and buying the German magazine Gitarre & Bass, which is a bit like Guitarist, but with masses more text and covering a broader scope of music.
    That'll be me buggered then I can't German and couldn't resort to just looking at the pictures.
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    uitarcookie1 said:I've just tried the iPad version, no internet connection here, and can view the videos fine.
    Just re-installed app and restored past purchases and viola, it is all working now. 

Will give it a read to night now I know it is properly working!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    SNAKEBITE said:
    DLM said:

, though I've also been reading and buying the German magazine Gitarre & Bass, which is a bit like Guitarist, but with masses more text and covering a broader scope of music.
    That'll be me buggered then I can't German and couldn't resort to just looking at the pictures.
    Oh, there are still plenty of pictures. Just bags more text than Guitarist. And lots of ads, too. Which are rather skewed towards Warwick/Framus, who now own/distribute a stupidly large percentage of music brands over here.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited May 2014
    Stopped about 18 months ago and can't say I miss it. For me it seemed to slip when they stopped issuing the cd.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    I've jus bought the anniversary edition and it really is poor. The survey section is pure filler. The reviews are comical too. Must do better.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I would say most of it is filler (sadly). All of the recent features on the history of the Gibson Les Paul or the history of the Fender Stratocaster were predictable to the point that I was asking myself (seriously) what was the point of reading it?
    But they would have been perfect in Readers Digest for someone who had arrived too early for their appointment at the dentist.

I don't know what the answer is. If you introduce anger and sarcasm to articles about Relicing, Dodgy Vintage Dealers, Historic Pickup covers on a £5000 guitar that are the wrong shape, etc etc etc etc etc etc, then I suppose the advertisers will get a bit nervous??

• The Anniversary edition was the end for me too... cancelled this week. One of the realisations being (thanks to the survey) that the majority of readers have no interest in going out and playing live!
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Guitarist is just no use to me.

Main feature: interview with current blues guitarist du jour, talking about their gear, why it's all vintage, and why the 1950s were the best time ever for guitar/amp design and nothing should ever change. Small mention of innovative technique that sounds exactly like every other blues standard you've ever heard. Either that or someone who hasn't made a decent record in twenty years.

Reviews: Fender standard, Gibson standard, Marshall standard. Occasional reissue. Handmade £3k guitar. Handwired amp made of stone and original 1950s valves for £2k. Small mention of a Squier strat. £200 overdrive as used by tedious blues player. £300 delay pedal.

Instructions on how to get either Van Halen's "Brown Sound", Page's tone, or whatever reliable staple they haven't covered for a couple of months.

There's very rarely anything on affordable gear I'm interested in, especially if it doesn't involve Fender or Gibson. It's the same stuff over and over again.
    And if I read one more thing about Stevie Ray fucking Vaughan, I'm going to start cutting people.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    DeeTee;243076" said:
    And if I read one more thing about Stevie Ray fucking Vaughan, I'm going to start cutting people.
    isn't he on the cover of Guitar Techniques this month?

[Hides sharp objects]
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Well, thank god he's finally getting some recognition, eh?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    ...just adding a further point:

Just had an in-depth read of the Slide issue and was surprised to see so little in way of advice for selecting right guitar; string heights, amps; acoustic option; tuning variants and consequences/songs related.

What was there mostly came in the interview with Trucksie... there should have been much more related articles/tips etc... And no Seasick to be had anywhere!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>