How does Andy Timmons get his sound ???

What's Hot

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Hey there @spacecadet, please feel free to add any Timmons related information you like right here.  That would be great for me, or anyone else reading this thread.

I agree with you, I actually think a very large part of his sound, probably more than many other guitarists, is from the fingers, technique, approach, phrasing etc.  I'll probably get criticised for that remark by some others here.  But the total package stands me in awe.  Obviously equipment choice has a large part to play in the harmonic makeup of his performances, as with anyone else choosing electric guitar.

I'm not familiar with Radial's products, why do you think that particularly gets close to his sound?  Is there anything else you've tried that comes close?  And how amp dependant is that?

Thanks for your input.  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    No sweat mate. I'll put a wee thing together for you. Love all that stuff.
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    edited May 2014
    matt1973 said:
    Same as Satch, 2 delays at times to thicken up the tone. Nice valve amp and a lot of commitment to note choice and execution.

And an octaver/ POG here and there.

@littlegreenman got any more info on the two delay thing? Sounds interesting.
    @matt1973, go to 1:30 of this vid, you can see the tempo settings on the delays.

Short-400ms
    Long-600-650ms
    3-4 repeats
    Gives a great cascading sound.
    @littlegreenman Tried this today and doesnt it just! :) much more effective than straight delay & reverb. Thanks for the pointer.

spacecadet said:    No sweat mate. I'll put a wee thing together for you. Love all that stuff. 
    Thanks @spacecadet, I'm looking forward to it already, cheers   :)

Thanks also to @littlegreenman and @matt1973 for the breakdown on delay settings - great stuff.

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Also worth being aware that there's a difference between the Lonestar Classic and Lonestar Special in terms of tubes, so that plays a part if you're considering investigating the amps. His sig pedal does affect the tone too
    Cheers @hubobulous, can you tell me a bit more about both the amps and the pedal please.

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited May 2014
    Hey @ChrisMusic Most of my insight came through a lot of trawling the net and watching those vids that others have posted above. This is the pedal, which is discontinued now but can sometimes be found second hand: http://www.andytimmons.com/news.php?id=0051 There's a YT video somewhere of all the different flavours of this pedal being compared side by side, and the AT one does sound different. Here it is : The Lonestar Classic has 6L6s, so it's the Fender style you're getting with that model. The Lonestar Special is EL84s, so more of a Vox vibe. Timmons uses the Classic for the tone you like.
    Fantastic extra info there @hubobulous.  I really appreciate the links too.
    Excellent demo video BTW.  Love that PRS513 too.  Cheers.

edited August 2014
    Well, it's been a while, but I have been doing some homework on all this.

A bit of background & his influences.

duration 6:15

Andy discusses how he recorded his new album 'Andy Timmons Band Plays Sgt Pepper’.
    He also talks about “tone”.

duration 7:58

And he talks about guitars and his deal with Ibanez in this interview.

duration 7:15

• AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    I have his signature pickup in the bridge of my suhr and I find it very thick and bassy and surprisingly hot so im sure that helps

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399

I've long been an Andy Timmons fan.

For me a large part of his sound comes from his pick dynamics which he's a master at controlling and varying.

He also seems to get a very distinctive "pop" when hitting the strings hard.

As others have said - it's all in the fingers.

The humbucker is a signature DiMarzio AT1, the singles are Cruisers.

@Adji thanks for your feedback.  How well does it split ?   If it is hot enough I am guessing it holds it's own against single coils in the other positions, what other pickups do you have in yours ?   What wood is your Suhr made from ?   Do you agree with Dave_Mc, that the AT is similar to a Tone Zone, if you have tried one ?

A pretty good explanation by the man himself as to what his guitar and pickups are about, a demo of the current AT10

The guitar used on Resolution is an AT300 with a mahogany body, maple neck & rosewood board.

FYI ~  You can tell if he is using his original Ibanez AT100 built in the LA Custom Shop, as the tip of the pick guard is missing by the lower horn of the guitar.  It is also refreshing to see a well worn fretboard with pretty much equal wear at each fret position, right up the neck.  None of the usual "same key, pentatonics, and chords" markings that most guitars seem to accumulate.

Duration 6:53

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    edited August 2014
    Is he not using lonestars,Stilettos, a BB and 2 memory man dls and a CM comp?

That's what it was last time I checked (2010)

BB preamp and lonestar will give you electric gypsy easily.
    Can't help with the BB but if anyone wants a LSS head shoot me a txt (I know, shame on me).
    Not that these 2 are necessary though.

For flashback delay users, if you want that dual delay time thing, toggle down, delay pointer between "E" and "L" and adjust feedback and blend to taste. Analog mode.

I liked the other sig. guitar better. The one with the RW board and no plate

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader

The humbucker is a signature DiMarzio AT1, the singles are Cruisers.

@Adji thanks for your feedback.  How well does it split ?   If it is hot enough I am guessing it holds it's own against single coils in the other positions, what other pickups do you have in yours ?   What wood is your Suhr made from ?   Do you agree with Dave_Mc, that the AT is similar to a Tone Zone, if you have tried one ?

I have mine split and it works fine. I don't use it split a lot but it pulls off a convincing 'hot' strat sound. My Suhr is Basswood with flame maple top and I pair it with two Lace Sensor pickups (blue in the neck, silver in the middle). Never tried the tone zone so can't comment there mate.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited August 2014

Do you agree with Dave_Mc, that the AT is similar to a Tone Zone, if you have tried one ?
    Just to clarify, I haven't tried the AT, just going by the specs I said it looked like the AT was like a toned down (slightly less extreme EQ), less hot Tone Zone. I'm guessing (could be wrong) that he used a Tone Zone back in the day before he got his signature pickup.
    Andy Timmons Interview at GIT in 2007, giving a little more insight into his approach to playing.

duration 6:50

Interesting stuff on pickups.  I appreciate your comments on the Tone Zone and the possible relationship to the AT @Dave_Mc, I realise it was speculativ.  Good observations from the available specs.

@Adji, intriguing choice of pickups there, especially the Lace Sensors.  I hope you don't mind me asking, but what were the reasons for changing from the stock Suhr pickups, and for choosing the Laces and the AT1 ?  Also what do you use amp wise?

I think you are spot on about the gear selection for the American style tones @Catthan .

Thanks for the info on getting two delay times out of the Flashback, very useful to know.  I wonder if the Alter Ego will do the same too ?

I have to agree with you comments on the guitar, I am not so keen aesthetically on the large expanse of white pick guard on the AT100,  The mahogany bodied AT300 is far more pleasing to me both in finish and in shape too.  They both sound equally good in the masters hands though.

@SimonC, you are right about the exceptional talent that Andy Timmons has, from the mindscape of thought, influences, and experience, through to skilled and crafted writing.  He has extraordinary composition, note and harmony choice, and phrasing, and the technique and fluidity to carry it off, and to make it look so easy.

There is so much nuanced technique, skill and feeling in his playing.

The ability to make an emotional connection, at that level, through music is a rare gift IMHO.

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    Hey Chris, re the alter ego the control layout looks similar to the flashback, I guess you can give these settings a go. 
    On the fat lead tone you mentioned, that's predominantly the LS amp lead channel. i can get very close with mine. problem with the LS lead channels is that they need some time dialling in to get that at home volumes. 
    Still possible, I guess even with big one running at 10W. without a LS I'd look at some old-school American style, fat OD, smth like a zen drive.

in my experience, this type of tone works well with a power trio, like AT's line up. for a more congested mix like in my band it may lack high mids presence.