Which bridge pickup for a Tele

BowksBowks Frets: 414
I’ve got a Classic 50s Tele, which is about to get a Fender Twisted Tele neck pickup installed, to male that neck position a little more exciting, and I’m considering changing the bridge pickup too. 

I’m a little out of the loop on pickup builders and as I sit here on the train, looking on TDPRI wanging on about boutique pickup makers in the US, I realise I know nothing about the current crop of UK makers who I am sure can do at least as good as those on the other side of the pond.

So, I am looking for country twang, without losing the mids and bottom end. Was looking at the Florence TE50, but would be keen to see what those with experience would suggest.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Mojo ‘59’s

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14303
    edited April 2019 tFB Trader
    I've just installed an Oil City Honky Tonk Angel in the bridge position on a project - based on an early 50's Black Guard Tele - tight, punch + plenty of balls and twang - Great tone - Very musical and what a good Tele pick-up should be

https://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/product-page/honkytonk-angel
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1597

^^ Same here.  Honky Tonk Angel in mine and sounds great.

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited April 2019
    also got the Honky Tonk Angel (fitted in the bridge position of my Strat) and very pleased with it. It plays nicely with the Strat neck pickup, too

• chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    I really like the Seymour Duncan vintage Broadcasters. Really satisfying crunchiness inithe bridge pickup. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9333
    If you're looking at country twang, you don't want an early 50s style pickup.
    Fender's pure vintage 64 is very decent without boutique prices.
    I'd highly recommend both Jamie at Creamery and Mojo pickups if you want a UK builder
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    Irongear Hot Classics is superb..  The vintage one is also very good if you want something less hot.
    I say that as pickup nut!
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    You could also get in touch with @Alegree - not sure if it's in that country ballpark as I don't play that, but the cirrostratus bridge (and neck, for that matter) is great and affordable. But I'm sure he could also fine-tune to your requirements
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14474
    chris78 said:
    Fender's pure vintage 64 is very decent without boutique prices.
    I suspect that this is the bridge/Treble pickup used in the 2011 Old Growth Redwood Tele-bration model. 

Twang aplenty. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I have trad speced pickups in  2 fender builds. One set is Creamery (domino split coils), the other Bare Knuckle (yardbird).
    I can recommend both. If push came to shove, I would plump for the BKs.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    Thanks for the advice. I’m leaning towards a late 50s voiced pickup as the 60s are a little too polite.
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    Bloodstone Nocaster!
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9333
    Bowks said:
    Thanks for the advice. I’m leaning towards a late 50s voiced pickup as the 60s are a little too polite.
    On the contrary, the grey bottom ones can heavily drive an amp. I love the 64 or cs 67 pickups if I want to get my three chords out and thrash out a bit of quo