Nailing a favourite solo

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    Nice one. It's so easy to just reach for Tab but taking the time to transcribe yourself is really the best way to nail a solo.

Love the manics too. There's a great video on YT of James Dean Bradfield going through his riffs on various guitars. It's a great watch.
    In the spirit of honesty, I did get some info from a tabbed version, but as often the case it wasn't 100% accurate. So I loaded it into riff station and listened a bit so I could refine it.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    It's so easy to just reach for Tab but taking the time to transcribe yourself is really the best way to nail a solo.
    It's not the 'best' way. More chance of getting it wrong (depending how well you can do it). It is the most satisfying way though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmark said:

In the spirit of honesty, I did get some info from a tabbed version, but as often the case it wasn't 100% accurate. So I loaded it into riff station and listened a bit so I could refine it.
    Wis’d. I almost never rely entirely on a single source (actually Ben Eller’s YT channel seems very reliable). Grab everything you can get hold of (tabs, vids, live stuff, mag/book scans, etc)...then set it all to one side...load up the audio in your favourite slow-downable software and get listening! I scribe it into Guitar Pro so you can play it back (although this means that you have to get the rhythmic stuff correct...which can be the hardest bit).

I barely ever trust tabs whether they’re recycled in a guitar mag or that ‘Master of Puppets’ Cherry Lane book you saved up for in the 80s. Also be wary of free stuff that’s been sketched out in Notepad and uploaded to some library or other. Folks appear to be under budget constraints or simply too eager to contribute.

That’s sounds a bit mean when this thread is about having a go. I’m just saying trust and develop yourself a bit more by transcribing...because there’s lots of unfiltered crap out there ;)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited April 2019
    I have to admit I used to be so anal about playing the same notes and tone as the recorded original. I’ve let go of that these days and base it around the solo as long as it’s still recognisable and I’m time etc I think the crowd in front won’t mind or even may prefer it. That or totally write your own solo for it.

As a practice/learning procedure then yes I still try to nail an iconic solo just for my own self gratification  

I know what you all mean by the Mr Brightside change though. Fortunately I avoid any band that has that in their set. Bloody hate that song. I’ll be making my way to another stage when the killers play that one at glastonbury this year ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/