Custom Vibrolux Reverb - any tips to squeeze out more Headroom?

What's Hot
Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
It's one of the 90s models with white knobs (35W, 2 x10) and has been 'Moyer-modded' to take it back to what I believe is a Vibroverb circuit. It's my gigging amp and I'm very happy with it, except that it breaks up a touch early. I can live with it, but if there's anything that could be done to give me a bit more headroom it would be of interest. I already swopped the power valves to Svetlana Winged C and that helped. I've tried 5751s instead of 12AX7s in V1 and V2 and they 'thinned out' the sound a bit too much for my liking. So I've got JJ 12AX7s in there now. The Speakers are Jensen P10Rs.

Apart from the above, is there anything obvious that might give me more headroom? Any valves that people swear by? Any maintenance or component changes? (As you can tell I'm not an amp expert).

Cheers All and a Happy Easter! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    I was going to say try 5751 but you have already tried that, i gigged one of these stock for years, and it used to crunch like a mother f***er, i loved the crunch but the singer was not too happy. lol

No ideas sorry. maybe try a vibrolux reverb silverface or blackface
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72408
    edited April 2019
    More sensitive speakers. P10Rs are really inefficient.

For example the Jensen Tornado and Electric Lightning are both 97dB, 2dB more than the P10R. That would be like increasing the power of the amp by more than 50%. Some Eminences are even higher, for example the Ragin’ Cajun which is 100dB... that would be like tripling the power compared to what you have now.

Some of these will change the tone of the amp a lot too, which may or may not be what you want - if you don’t, it’s probably better to stick to one of the Jensens.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    tFB Trader
    Do you want more volume before it breaks up, or do you want later breakup on the volume dial, regardless of volume?
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    ICBM said:
    More sensitive speakers. P10Rs are really inefficient.

For example the Jensen Tornado and Electric Lightning are both 97dB, 2dB more than the P10R. That would be like increasing the power of the amp by more than 50%. Some Eminences are even higher, for example the Ragin’ Cajun which is 100dB... that would be like tripling the power compared to what you have now.

Some of these will change the tone of the amp a lot too, which may or may not be what you want - if you don’t, it’s probably better to stick to one of the Jensens.
    Thanks - let me investigate the speakers .
    RiftAmps said:
    Do you want more volume before it breaks up, or do you want later breakup on the volume dial, regardless of volume?
    The former (I think). I run it at about 4 to 4.5 on the volume with the band and it's plenty loud enough, but breaking up. I'd like it to be cleaner at that volume. 

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    The former (I think). I run it at about 4 to 4.5 on the volume with the band and it's plenty loud enough, but breaking up. I'd like it to be cleaner at that volume. 

OK, in that case, you want more efficient speakers, as @icbm said.

This will, however, make 4-4.5 'louder' so you will find yourself running the amp on a lower dial setting to achieve the same volume as achieved now.

I'd recommend a mix of WGS G10C and G10C/S
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

RiftAmps said:
    RiftAmps said:

OK, in that case, you want more efficient speakers, as @icbm said.

This will, however, make 4-4.5 'louder' so you will find yourself running the amp on a lower dial setting to achieve the same volume as achieved now.

I'd recommend a mix of WGS G10C and G10C/S
    Great - thanks. I'll investigate these. Why the mix, and would mixing one of these with an existing P10R be worth trying? 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    What impedance are your speakers? I have an 8ohm Ragin' Cajun doing nothing if you wanted to try a just-broken-in one at used prices? 
    p90fool said:
    What impedance are your speakers? I have an 8ohm Ragin' Cajun doing nothing if you wanted to try a just-broken-in one at used prices? 
    Will check....thanks

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72408
    They're 8 ohm.

If you put it in the side of the amp under the input jacks it will also balance better when you're carrying it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    Having looked into it I think I'm going to get a set of WGS to keep a bit closer to the current sound, but thanks for the offer. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    No worries :)