Volume, Valve and Nice Pedals

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    I was wondering if a hybrid amp such as the Vox AV series might give you warm valvey goodness at  bedroom volumes. Nothing like as expensive or as heavy as an all-valve amp. I know that the valves aren’t run particularly hot in them so not sure you’d get the full ‘cranked valve at full chat’ sound, but could well be a decent compromise.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    ICBM said:
    Exactly. Not only that, I find that the really big amps usually sound better at that sort of volume than the smaller ones - it may be because they make the speaker move properly even when it’s not moving much, but I don’t know for sure.

Yeah I have noticed that too, and often wondered why. Maybe it's because they generally have  a bigger speaker area with a larger speaker (i.e. it's more flexible in the middle) as you say, or the constructioon of the cab is more robust, and it kicks the sound out better?
  • JalfreziJalfrezi Frets: 55
    I have also been down the low watt amp rabbit hole.  I live in a terraced house, so have to be sensible with volume.  I use 4 amps these days:
    • THR10 - which gets used ocassionally
    • 1970 Twin Reverb - which gets used daily, and is a great pedal platform.  Despite the reputation for being incredibly live it works fine at low volumes IME.  It does have a PPIMV fitted, but I just leave that wide open most of the time.
    • Ceriatone JTM45 into a single Gold - again gets used all the time, some seem too thing that JTM45's are only good for being cranked, but I find it sounds great at lower volume too.
    • Tweed Deluxe - this doesn't get used as much, as it needs to be a little too loud to sound nice IME
    If I had to choose just one, it would be the JTM45 as I love it, but sensibly I think a Twin is a great solution, although it is rather heavy to move!
    my trading feedback HERE
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    I’ve tried various low output home-use amps and none of them have really scratched the itch for me. The best solution I’ve found has always been a big amp turned down: I’ve used a Marshall combo in the past but currently it’s a Laney Studio 5 head running on the 1/2 watt setting: still v loud if you wind up the wick enough but absolutely fine for home use. Takes pedals brilliantly too, which is just as well as I *cough* have a few.  :)
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3498
    I play my Deuce sometimes, not as much nowadays, its loud as hell and still needs to be fairly loud to sound Ok, its not earth shattering at low but nice sounding volumes, but it sounds lovely. My little Vox Cambridge sounds thin in comparison, its like the difference between a transistor radio and a decent HiFi. I have had the Peavey for around a year now and never have I ever had the pre or post gain above 4/5. One day I will take it out into the garden and drive the balls out of it just to see what its like loud, Ill ask the neighbours if its Ok first, then drink a lot of beer, then sheepishly play a few power chords , then put it away again. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3498
    While we are on the subject, whats the criac with attenuators? Any one use one? They are too costly for me at the moment but something I have considered for a while, do they mushy up the sound?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • I use a Suhr Reactive Load and a Torpedo CAB M and it sounds incredible through my computer interface, monitors and headphones. Best quiet solution for loud amps, in my opinion.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    I wanted a versatile amp that could be super loud when needed, but have the option to be really quiet, whilst still sounding ok. 

First attempt was a Fender Bassbreaker 30R, which sounded awful at low volumes. 

Second attempt was a H&K Tubemeister 36, which had a powersoak feature. Unfortunately even at 1w it was still way too loud.

Attempt 3 was a Blackstar HT-5R. Unfortunately the sound was way too dark, and on 0.5w output was too distorted.

Attempt 4 is a Tone King Imperial MkII. The built in attenuator is amazing. I had to splash the cash for it, but it’s everything I could ever want in an amp. Rather than limiting the wattage, it limits the DB, so you can really dial it in to exactly the output that won’t make the people you live with want to kill you. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11792
    What sucks/rocks is I unfortunately already own the best option - a Katana 50 and a Vox Handbag!

But I want to treat myself to nice things :(

#firstworldproblems
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    The problem with playing quiet all the time is I find I’m not used to controlling superfluous noise and feedback that only occurs when I’m trying to play with a loud drummer.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11792
    The problem with playing quiet all the time is I find I’m not used to controlling superfluous noise and feedback that only occurs when I’m trying to play with a loud drummer.
    Playing with oneself (cough cough) and playing with others are seperate but complimentary skills, if playing with others has taught me one thing, it's that.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...