Which one and why

What's Hot
Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
Hello all, I’ve been looking at the PRS SE custom and the Fender Player Strat in HSS configuration. Really like both . I know they are quite different but which would you choose and why ? Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The one that played the best because that is probably the most important thing
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    The MSRP of the 2019 PRS SE Custom ought to land a pre-owned S2 Vela, Mira, Starla or Singlecut. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5792
    History suggests that I'd take the Strat, as I love Strats and I've never liked a PRS but there are no rules when it comes to liking a guitar sometimes. Unless you can work out which you prefer, its more a question of which you buy now and which you start saving for 
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1357
    edited April 2019
    I would choose both - because I'm worth it.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159
    I'd probably go Strat with HSS over a PRS with HH configuration, move versatile and easier to mod/upgrade.
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1247
    I've got a PRS SE Custom, and an older MIA Strat. The PRS is far better quality than the Strat, but I like both.

The Strat because it's a Strat, and gives that classic Strat single coil sound (I like my Strats to sound like Strats, so none of this HSS nonsense for me!)
    The SE because it just feels lovely to play, especially how it resonates.

Weakness of the Strat is the neck isn't as slick as the SE (poly covered maple), whereas the weakness of the SE is I feel the humbuckers sound too thin (I do keep meaning to upgrade them, but have just never got around to it!).

Ultimately, as others have already said, it comes down to personal preference. Each have their pros and cons, but it's not any of us that have to live with the pros and cons of whatever guitar you buy.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 252
    There completely different sounding guitars.  I guess it comes down to what you play to make your decision.  Can I just have a S S S config strat instead =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
    Thanks everyone for the replies 
  • For me, the Strat has the most important advantage. The sound (though I also agree that SSS is the true sound).

But the SE is a superior design (weight, balance, string path, upper access etc) from the POV of function. It is also a better build quality. Bottom line: it will handle much better. It sounds great, but different to a strat.

Sound may not matter so much if you use lots of FX & gain (I play clean).

I love Fender tone, but I dont own a Fender any more. I do own a PRS SE Custom 24.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14334
    tFB Trader
    Blonde or Brunette
    White Bread or Brown

Seriously no one guitar does it all - play both - play different examples of the Strat - Your hands and ears are the best judge so let them guide you

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Blonde or Brunette
    White Bread or Brown

Seriously no one guitar does it all - play both - play different examples of the Strat - Your hands and ears are the best judge so let them guide you

Isn’t this the point where someone normally responds with “Buy a Telecaster, end of discussion”...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33826
    edited April 2019
    The strat.
    Because life is meaningless and everything dies.
  • octatonic said:
    The strat.
    Because life is meaningless and everything dies.
    They should have that on the headstock
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent