GuitarGuitar: Late 50's Les Paul Reissue. Mojo or BS?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6146
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    I think you know the answer to this one ;) 

Apart from the handpicked tops those specs are true of most R8s / R9s from the past few years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited April 2019
    equalsql said:
    What a load of waffle and sales bollocks on that gg link

You'll only know by going to the store and playing as many as you can
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9351
    Basically r9s at £4K. Not unreasonable
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    Stupid, I know, but I don't like the 'GG' serial numbers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7130
    Brize said:
    could just tell people it stands for gibson guitar

or gigantic glands
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6734
    Three exclamation marks in the description. What a world...
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    For that money you can have a decent replica built!... and it’ll be better than anything Gibson make to be fair!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    edited April 2019
    Went to have a look at these a few weeks ago,got to say I was underwhelmed by all the ones I saw,didn`t like the finish/colour on them at all.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    poopot said:
    For that money you can have a decent replica built!... and it’ll be better than anything Gibson make to be fair!
    But if you get a replica built that doesn't turn out that well you have an expensive, average guitar with fuck all recoupable value.

With a Gibson you can try 100s and buy the best one.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited April 2019
    poopot said:
    But if you get a replica built that doesn't turn out that well you have an expensive, average guitar with fuck all recoupable value.

True, but if you get the right builder to start with they will have a choice for you to try ;)
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1424
    poopot said:

This sums it up perfectly for me  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited April 2019
    hyperben said:
    poopot said:

This sums it up perfectly for me 
    Agreed...commissioning a replica is risky and even if it's a great guitar you'll take a massive hit on resale and that's assuming you can find a buyer.  You can knock Gibson quality all you want but it's the Gibson name that commands recognition, and resale values. If you want a great top quality handbuilt guitar with real personal service you're better off going to a well known and respected luthier such as Feline guitars.  If I had the money and wanted something special and wasnt too worried about resale, Feline are the ones I'd go to...their 25th anniversary Lion (the purple one is just wow)  is stunning.  I'd want mine with split coil options though ... ah well, I can dream. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just bought one from guitar guitar. Played every one of them in the store found one I thought was the best. Used it at 3 gigs so far. Love it. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe I’m not up to date on custom shop pricing but 4K for a new ‘59 seems to not be bad. Doesn’t appear like they’ve upcharged for handpicked tops which you might’ve expected them to do.

Whoever wrote the sales patter needs to have a word mind you..
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    tony99 said:
    Brize said:
    could just tell people it stands for gibson guitar or gigantic glands
    or gullible geeks or greedy guts or ...

You'll only know by going to the store and playing as many as you can.
    This is the truth.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.