Amp dirt or Pedals

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17628
    tFB Trader
    A delay can sound fine into the front of a dirty amp. Check the Pete thorn video about getting van halen sounds. You just turn the level down a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7292
    If I couldnt use my amp dirt then id use one of my other amps for dirt, if i couldnt use amp dirt at all I would use an amp model into the power section of a real amp, if I couldnt use that I would use modeller into PA, only if all of those werent an option would I consider a drive pedal into a clean amp. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Loud cleanish amp+ OD 2 or Pork Loin + Fat Sandwich + Fuzz Factory or Fuzz Face.
    I've never needed anything else. Works perfectly for me. If I'm using borrowed amps, I'll use an AMT F1 as a preamp.
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    My basic sound is an old 30W Marshall solid state with the pre amp about 6-8, then I put on a TS style pedal for solos.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    @Sassafras what mode do you use on the OD2? Mine only gets switched to turbo once in a blue moon.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    normula1 said:
    @Sassafras what mode do you use on the OD2? Mine only gets switched to turbo once in a blue moon.
    I only ever use the normal mode. It gives a lovely natural edge of break up sound on mid gain settings.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    A delay can sound fine into the front of a dirty amp. Check the Pete thorn video about getting van halen sounds. You just turn the level down a bit.
    Interesting - I've been playing with this and I quite like it. Using the tape mode on my Marshall Echohead straight into the front of the amp. Even on filthy it sounds good. Different - kind of raw, but I like it. You need to turn the level and feedback really low though.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659

Depends on the Amp......

I have a Mesa tremoverb so don't really need a dirt pedal, plus I like to ride the volume on my guitars so I can clean up a crunchy channel that way if I need to.

I do keep a few dirt pedals, mainly used in rehearsal rooms when I didn't know what backline would appear or when playing live & gear sharing.