Relish guitars...anyone tried them?

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
Hadn't heard of these before but came across these by accident on YouTube. Really interesting design with a back held on with magnets and access to a very fast pick up change system. Bamboo fretboard and quality Swiss engineering.

Anyone tried a Relish in the flesh?
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I've had a play on them in Wildwire in Selby  they've got both tiers. 

They feel really nice in the hand, nice comfy body curves too.
    The wiring is flawless and the build quality is superb. 
    The touch pickup selector is weird at first but you soon get the hang of it.

I've just never been able to bring myself to buy one new, you rarely see them used but I still worry about the resale value if I came to move one on.

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3992
    Seen them in Wildwire but never really fancied the look of them, my brother is always giving me grief for putting too much stock in the look of a guitar as far as what I feel like I can play on it but these just don't put me in mind of playing anything at all.
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    I watched a video on these the other day. Pretty interesting construction, although the aesthetics don't do a great deal for me. The two 'red flags' for me were 1) you have to remove the back to change strings (imagine doing that at a gig) and 2) Guitars with girl's names - it's not the 1970s fer chrissakes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2299
    Guitarist mag reviewed some Relish guitars in 2016: Bloody Mary | Walnut Jane 

They might be brilliant, but I don't like the look of them, and I don't want a guitar with a battery in it if I can help it.

• I haven't played one, but I have plenty of (work) experience with Swiss engineering & its always been top notch.

I dont much like the looks either, but I wouldn't let that stop me having one if it could do what I need.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    They have a saucy look about them.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18942
    I can't decide if I like them enough as an everyday bread & butter guitar. I'm in a bit of a pickle.
    Cheesy predicament I know  ;)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    They seem like a massively over engineered solution to making pickup changes easier which comprises almost every other aspect of the guitar.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    They seem like a massively over engineered solution to making pickup changes easier which comprises almost every other aspect of the guitar.
    But have you actually played one though?  It's the playing experience I'm interested in. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17663
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    But have you actually played one though?  It's the playing experience I'm interested in. 

On a guitar that costs £4k sounding and playing well should be a given. It looks bad (subjective) and seems compromised in use so I'm not interested in trying one.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    Voxman said:

On a guitar that costs £4k sounding and playing well should be a given. It looks bad (subjective) and seems compromised in use so I'm not interested in trying one.
    I think that's the top end version. Others start around £1500 I think. 
  • Voxman said:

In what way do you feel them to be compromised?
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    I would have one, but I'm not sure about the access to the upper frets, so I'd like to try one first.  Unfortunately I've never seen any about, so that's a bit difficult.  There second hand Marys knocking about for around a grand
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 859
    Played a couple and found them very nice. Quite light too.
    still not sure I’d buy one new though because of the aforementioned depreciation.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2299
    still not sure I’d buy one new though because of the aforementioned depreciation.
    If I try a new guitar and it really grabs me, all thoughts of depreciation go out the window...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1957
    Keefy said:
    If I try a new guitar and it really grabs me, all thoughts of depreciation go out the window...
    Good man.