EVH 5151 III owners, does it need a boost?

What's Hot
Hearing loads of demo's that sound great without boosting it...however, all metal amps benefit from a boost don't they? 

Usual TS style circuit the best? I'm only asking because I'm wondering if I should return my Maxon OD808 or not.
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IMO the 50 Watt doesn’t. It’s tight and loads of gain on the blue and red channel.

100 Watt doesn’t on the red channel, boost is nice on the blue channel. In this case I’d use the EP rather than the OD808 though, but Maxon would still sound good.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    I boost the 50 and 100 models I own with an MXR line driver in the loop -works superbly!
  • Nah I don't think it needs a boost. But be careful with the 50-watt model, huge volume jump between green and blue channels. Unusable live, for me at least - not without bringing the blue channel down -10dB using something like the Helix anyway.

Bye!

• Nah I don't think it needs a boost. But be careful with the 50-watt model, huge volume jump between green and blue channels. Unusable live, for me at least - not without bringing the blue channel down -10dB using something like the Helix anyway.
    If he has a version 2 then that will no longer happen
  • Thanks, Drew, definitely worth thinking about. 

@Fortheloveofguitar how will I be able to tell the difference, mate? Obviously, short of playing it.

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited April 2019
    Thanks, Drew, definitely worth thinking about. 

@Fortheloveofguitar how will I be able to tell the difference, mate? Obviously, short of playing it.
    It’s easy to see as version 2 has concentric pots on the gain pot and volume pot for channels one and two 
  • Perfect, thank you, mate.

• Perfect, thank you, mate.
    You’re welcome :)

There’s not many second hand version 2 about though at the moment so you may have to settle for V1 at a good price but if you’re gigging with it then definitely hold out for a V2 to avoid the issues that Drew mentioned as they are a real pain in the backside 

The 100w doesn’t have the problem as it has its own dedicated gain/volume/EQ 

I picked up a 100w for only £500 and I was originally looking for a 50w but couldn’t find a V2 second hand so picked up a bargain 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24337
    I boost the 50 and 100 models I own with an MXR line driver in the loop -works superbly!
    That’s not a preamp boost though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Is an ep better than a tubescreamer?

I find that a TS will tighten it up but the amp them becomes brighter and loses a lot of its natural thump 
  • The EP booster is basically the preamp from an echoplex unit. Fairly different to a tubescreamer, they're not that comparable.

Bye!

• Yep, so the advice I got given somewhere was that the EP boosts everything, including bass, which is inadvisable with something like a Dual Rec, so I really noticed the difference with the OD808. Sounds superb.

• The EP booster is basically the preamp from an echoplex unit. Fairly different to a tubescreamer, they're not that comparable.
    Ok thanks :)

Will it tighten it up though without losing too much of the amps character?
    Ok thanks :)

Will it tighten it up though without losing too much of the amps character?
    Again, can only comment on the Dual Rec...it gave the saturation and gain I needed, possibly tightened things up a little, but not what I was looking for. I have a Fortin Grind on the way and hoping that'll be even more saturated and even tighter than the OD808.

• I’ve just ordered a Maxon OD808 to try out 
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    It does not need a boost, but the 808 will give it a different flavour and more focus in the mids.  Lovely thing.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    If you’re looking for something different, try a Soul Food (or any Klone) as a boost instead of a TS. It will preserve slightly more lows and has a slightly less mid spike, giving more of an open sound.
  • spirit7 said:
    It does not need a boost, but the 808 will give it a different flavour and more focus in the mids.  Lovely thing.
    I prefer the blue channel and would like it a little tighter for when i'm doing drop C material that's all
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 705
    edited April 2019
    I have a 50w 5150 III v1. It's up for sale at the moment, but my system for dealing with the one/two volume issue varied. I'd generally either use an EQ pedal with the gain turned right down (on the pedal), or a volume pedal if I was looking for cleans out of Channel One without taking all the dirt out of Channel Two. Worked out okay for me.

Eventually I wound up using a Peavey Classic 30 for cleans in a A/B setup using a GigRig Midi 8. However, that was really because I wanted a more 'classic' clean tone, rather than a metal-style one.

With regard to boosting, I never did that.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    That’s not a preamp boost though. 
    No just a volume boost- don’t find either need any other kind of boost for me.