So now they've been out for a while, how are the Synergy amps?

What's Hot
rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2444
Been looking into the Synergy modules a bit. Anyone using them live? How are you finding them? Are you still craving a regular amp or just more modules? 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• @FelineGuitars might have some ideas on this.

Bye!

• I don't get where the power amp "sound" comes from if you just use the pre-amps straight into a DAW, for example.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Fluff did a video the other day with the Helix and Synergy modulea and it sounded good but there was no power amp emulation at all, which seems weird to me.

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2444
    Fluff did a video the other day with the Helix and Synergy modulea and it sounded good but there was no power amp emulation at all, which seems weird to me.
    From what I can tell there is a little bit. There is a sag control that simulates the, well, sag of a power amp. I think it does depend on the amp itself as to whether or not you need power amp simulation to get the tone. Certainly with non master volume amps but as an example, I've just plugged my Mark V into the Helix. First from the line out of a Torpedo Captor in an IR, then from the FX Loop send. No difference so does make sense. 

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    I love the system more than I can explain. For me it works really well. 

In fairness I don't find that different power sections make THAT much difference - unless you are playing so loud that the power amp is maxing out.
    I think that too many players have either a) read too much stuff on the web b)fiddled too much with modellers

Unless you are playing so loud that power amp characteristics are a thing ALL the time and you overlook that most punters won't give a stuff- it will be more important that the PLAYER  plays well.

If you are interested listen to Bruce Egnater talk on interviews like Tone Talk and say about how he had Vox amp fanatics fooled by one of his modules running via a non EL84 power section.

Now having said that I have run mine via 5881s, EL34s, 6L6s and EL847s all in push pull , and via EL34, 6CA7, 6L6 and 5881 in single ended power amps that MJW made me simply because I play at home and a 50w push pull is barely ticking over at bedroom volumes. 
    I have used my 2 notes Torpedo with power amp settings but only via headphones.
    I will photograph my module collection - it's quite embarrassing (and yes I have a lot of duplicates right now but will have those modded or trade them for others.

For a lot of my own playing a hot plexi type module really suits me and a clean bassman, but most of the bands I am a fanboy for use those, although the VOX ones are fab.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Is there a Mesa Rectifier style module? 

Thanks, Jonathan, that helps :-)

• Fluff did a video the other day with the Helix and Synergy modulea and it sounded good but there was no power amp emulation at all, which seems weird to me.
    From what I can tell there is a little bit. There is a sag control that simulates the, well, sag of a power amp. I think it does depend on the amp itself as to whether or not you need power amp simulation to get the tone. Certainly with non master volume amps but as an example, I've just plugged my Mark V into the Helix. First from the line out of a Torpedo Captor in an IR, then from the FX Loop send. No difference so does make sense. 
    Cheers, Ross!

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    Is there a Mesa Rectifier style module? 

Thanks, Jonathan, that helps :-)
    There doesn't need to be because in the preamp section the Dual rectifier is 100% the same as a Soldano SLO - literally 100% in terms of component value choices.
    Egnater made a recto module in the old series and Randall did a couple too, and a couple of the module modifiers have done their own take on it too.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2444
    The more I look at these the more they make sense. I’ll have a go when I get down to peach next week.