What's Hot
kt66kt66 Frets: 315
edited May 2019 in Guitar
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited April 2019 tFB Trader
    You've pretty much covered it - the VM range appears to have been reduced to just 2 guitars (possibly until current stocks have sold).
    The CV range has moved production from China to Indonesia to take over from the VM range.  Some previous VM guitars have been rebranded CV with some changes (Squier were making a big deal out of the change in pickups in some NAMM videos) and it would seem that most of the body woods of the CV range will now be poplar.*
    While the VM range got good reviews I think the CV line was pretty much universally considered to be a cut above in quality. Personally I'm not sure this move of production and change in body woods is going to keep the CV reputation as high.

*EDIT>>Fender's website isn't up to date on the CV range yet - the CV 50s+60s Strat and 50s Tele/Custom still show the specs and pictures for the Chinese models.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Got to feel sorry for the people working at the Chinese factory that made the old Classic Vibes - after doing such a good job making one of the most praised guitar lines in history they get dropped and the line moved to a different country.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    I checked out the Jazz Bass to see the specs and they’ve ditched the old “Hi-mass” bridge for a generic, cheap-looking bridge. The pickups on the Chinese CVs were also highly regarded and suspected to be made by Tonerider, looks like these have gone too.
    Wonder why they would essentially get rid of such a successful line - or more accurately, down-merge it with the line below it and obviously keeping the name for its prestige.

Could it be true that the CV was too good quality so affecting sales of low-end Fenders?

Maybe at the quality it was, it was expensive to make and perhaps a bit of a loss leader having those at the top of the Squier pyramid but when they become so popular it was losing them too much?

A lot of people will be disappointed, they are definitely so hyped online. Any thread on a guitar or bass forum asking for a budget recommendation never fails to recommend them. Even get some silly comments saying they're better than American Standards etc.

25 years of brand brainwashing has made me unable to ever buy one because I just couldn't ever be comfortable with a Squier.

I wonder what the pros and cons would be of Fender just using the Fender name for all their guitars and just extending the range down through the Squiers.

I'd guess the 200 quid Squier could even take some sales away from the Mexican Standard with people who want the cheapest guitar possible but it has to say Fender on it.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11863
    I bought my CV Custom tele after auditioning it with a Mexican fender and the CV felt a better guitar to me, not much in it.

The Fender was probably a bit better in some ways but the Cv was better for me personally.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    My only problem with the cv guitars was  how thin thr necks were.  My cv 50s tele sounded fantastic though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18942
    thegummy said:
    Wonder why they would essentially get rid of such a successful line - or more accurately, down-merge it with the line below it and obviously keeping the name for its prestige.

Could it be true that the CV was too good quality so affecting sales of low-end Fenders?

Maybe at the quality it was, it was expensive to make and perhaps a bit of a loss leader having those at the top of the Squier pyramid but when they become so popular it was losing them too much?

A lot of people will be disappointed, they are definitely so hyped online. Any thread on a guitar or bass forum asking for a budget recommendation never fails to recommend them. Even get some silly comments saying they're better than American Standards etc.

25 years of brand brainwashing has made me unable to ever buy one because I just couldn't ever be comfortable with a Squier.

I wonder what the pros and cons would be of Fender just using the Fender name for all their guitars and just extending the range down through the Squiers.

I'd guess the 200 quid Squier could even take some sales away from the Mexican Standard with people who want the cheapest guitar possible but it has to say Fender on it.
    Hello Mr.Gummy  
    From my earlier posting April 16th.
    "Mind you, I always thought that Fender were hurting their own sales by producing the CV's, as they were so very good for the price.
    Just saying...  ;)
    thegummy said:

Hello Mr.Gummy  
    "Mind you, I always thought that Fender were hurting their own sales by producing the CV's, as they were so very good for the price.
    Just saying...  ;)
    I couldn't remember who posted it but it was exactly your post that I was referring to there :) 
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:

Hello Mr.Gummy  
    Just saying...  ;)
    I couldn't remember who posted it but it was exactly your post that I was referring to there :) 
    Can't believe anyone actually took on board what I was trying to say,lol!   :) 
    The early CV 50's sunburst/maple that I had was really rather nice. I swapped the frankly disgraceful scratchplate for a 3 ply parchment which really suited the 'vibe' , IMHO. The tone was lovely & well, 'stratty'.  It had a 2 piece body that you had to look seriously hard to see the join & I was looking for flaws. The only slight issue for me was the deep polyester coat on the neck, but not enough to be an issue.
    I eventually traded it (plus cash his way) for the Gibson 50's studio reissue goldtop darkback. Sigh...
    Still miss that CV, it just had something about it, but hey ho.

Incidentally I had a quick look at they price of an American Original neck earlier because it looks nice and it's 600 quid just for the neck!
    edited April 2019
    'It's not just wood. It's  ©️ Fender wood... and because you're worth it ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom