1987 Ibanez Jem neck joint worries : one to avoid?

What's Hot
FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
edited April 2019 in Guitar
Hey all

Been offered a vintage 1987 Ibanez Jem that’s in good condition at a great price

The only thing that’s potentially concerning me is that where there is a join in the neck it is now slightly raised though currently not enough to affect playability

should this be sometime I need to be worried about further up the road repair bill wise. One to avoid?

Many thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    It looks OK in the pic. Any sign of an actual gap, or movement if you put stress on it? If not, it’s probably just differential shrinkage between the two pieces.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    If the headstock has not dropped off after thirty two years, it is probably going to remain attached.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    It looks OK in the pic. Any sign of an actual gap, or movement if you put stress on it? If not, it’s probably just differential shrinkage between the two pieces.
    I’ve not seen it in person yet as it’s a couple of hrs drive away 

Guy has told me ‘seems to be separating ever so slightly’ so that’s all I have to go off and the picture 

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10594
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I’ve not seen it in person yet as it’s a couple of hrs drive away 

Guy has told me ‘seems to be separating ever so slightly’ so that’s all I have to go off and the picture 

If it really is 'separating ever so slightly' ... that is, if the glue/wood has let go here and there is any form of gap, I would personally avoid it like the plague, unless you are prepared for a fair sized repair bill, and the seller adjusts the price accordingly. There's bugger all 'meat' on those necks anyway, and string pull is going to be opening up any weakness. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Ask for a side profile picture
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    If it’s actually separating then it will need to be repaired. At that point the difficulty is to get it apart far enough to get glue into it - although superglue will wick in pretty effectively, count on needing at least some finish work done as well if you use that. If you can get heated epoxy into it you can probably clean the excess off before it sets and avoid that.

Water-based glue like Titebond probably won’t work well without separating the pieces completely and removing the old glue.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7367
    It will probably be fine, but at the same time it's not like you need that specific one so id just wait. Get one with no issues.
  • Thanks guys much appreciated

I’ve decided to avoid it then. Too much of a gamble 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4194
    How much was it btw, enquiring minds etc, with a Jem, I’d be more concerned with posts and knife edges tbh