Solo boost?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599

If you're getting your rhythm tone from the amp, then ideally, a boost in the loop. I've had success with a Boss GE7 EQ - you can boost the volume and push the mids up a bit for extra cut. The other option is to run the amp fairly clean and get drive from a pedal. In that instance, run the boost after the drive pedal and before the amp input. I prefer an EQ pedal for a boost as it gives you more options to tweak your tone over a straightforward boost pedal. A compressor can also make a good lead boost too - run the compression low and the volume high.

Good luck with your first live outing! You'll never forget it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KickTheHabitKickTheHabit Frets: 93
    edited June 2014
    Second master volume .... Works a treat and scares the shit out of the bass player! ;-)
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    EH LPB-1 in the FX loop here. 

Works a treat for me with a Mesa 5:25 although I'm guessing that how much boost you can get away with might vary from amp to amp depending on how hot the"Send" is and how much headroom there is in the "Return" side of the loop...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Grab yourself a cheap EQ pedal. A Mooer Graphic-G (Note that the Mooer wont take a battery, needs a 9v adaptor) or something second hand and stick that between you and the amp. You can tweak the EQ out a little to give yourself more presence, or just use the level knob to poke your guitar out in front of everyone for the solo then kick it off when you're done.

Good luck with your first gig, Paranoid is a great first track. I think mine was Long Train Running...
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    Grab yourself a cheap EQ pedal. A Mooer Graphic-G (Note that the Mooer wont take a battery, needs a 9v adaptor) or something second hand and stick that between you and the amp. You can tweak the EQ out a little to give yourself more presence, or just use the level knob to poke your guitar out in front of everyone for the solo then kick it off when you're done.

Good luck with your first gig, Paranoid is a great first track. I think mine was Long Train Running...
    this works - or run the eq pedal in the loop - either way a cheap way of getting a volume kick - works for the other guitarist in the band using a marshall which wasn't cutting through for his solo spots
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Danny1969 said:

Cheapest way is an attenuator in the loop, which is basically a 10k pot in a box bypassable with a footswitch. Your solo sound is with the 10k pot bypassed, so set the pot to get the required contrast between rhythm and lead volume.  
    +1 Volume CUT in the loop!
    I've got just the thing for sale....EHX Signal Pad, £20 delivered.