Rusty strings from the Birmingham Guitar Show

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    Octafish said:
    I've been using Fender strings for a bit now, no problems at all and cheaper than D'addarios. Did use GHS for some time then a load of rusty packs
    I've use Fender strings too, and they seem comparable to D'addarios.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12411
    I used Ernies for literally decades, used to buy them in boxes of 12. Then I started to notice they were turning up rusty straight out of the pack so I switched brands. It’s a shame as they used to be really consistent and a decent price. I don’t know if they’re packed in damp conditions now or if they’ve changed the metal content? 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    I’ve never had an issue with Rotosound and the extra e string is handy. Haven’t used EB for years.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14334
    tFB Trader
    I'll have a word with the UK importers, for EB, ref this issue of rusty strings - Obviously where I buy them from 

I can no longer get good prices on D'addario strings, so 3 sets around £15, for shows, is no longer an option for me - Yet D'addario often have a promo price in-conjunction with Amazon that dealers can't compete with - On the basis that D'addario support Amazon with stock/pricing/promotion, then I have little interest in supporting D'addario

If the EB issue continues then I'll cease to offer string deals at the shows - Only D'addario and EB sell well at the shows - Any other brand is a token gesture 

Will update after I've spoken to the suppliers
  • Everyone look at @fastonebaz with his humble brag about having reliced strings.   He talks about corroded/rusty strings.  Go on Bad tell us all about the lovely patina you have on the strings and mojo it give you.

:P
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4126
    Thanks @guitars4you, much appreciated.

What amazing customer service!

PM'd
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4126
    Everyone look at @fastonebaz with his humble brag about having reliced strings.   He talks about corroded/rusty strings.  Go on Bad tell us all about the lovely patina you have on the strings and mojo it give you.

:P
    Lol.  Afraid they went straight in the bin.  No mojo, just a glum feeling. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33826
    Rusty Strings will be my drag queen name.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031

There were changes to the composition of the paper that some of the manufacturers were using in the packets that were causing corrosion, I’m pretty sure one of those affected was EB.

Jon @FelineGuitars was telling me about it he might be good enough to chip in with more details?

@guitars4you talk to your EB rep and I'm sure they will cover this for you - outstanding customer service from you though! :)

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    edited April 2019

fandango said:
    Could be genuine but ancient stock. Could be counterfeit. Either way, the vendor must have known. He wants naming.
    Oh please, not another witch hunt.
    Thanks for that, before I get hung drawn and 1/4'd for been a total lying deceitful retailer
    When in Rome, live as the Romans do.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader

There were changes to the composition of the paper that some of the manufacturers were using in the packets that were causing corrosion, I’m pretty sure one of those affected was EB.

Jon @FelineGuitars was telling me about it he might be good enough to chip in with more details?

@guitars4you talk to your EB rep and I'm sure they will cover this for you - outstanding customer service from you though! :)

I think the paper issue in the packets was a Dunlop issue.
    We use somewhere around 350 packets of strings a year, the majority being EB and can honestly say never one rusty pack or string. That's not to say it doesn't happen, we've just never come across it. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14334
    tFB Trader

I think the paper issue in the packets was a Dunlop issue.
    We use somewhere around 350 packets of strings a year, the majority being EB and can honestly say never one rusty pack or string. That's not to say it doesn't happen, we've just never come across it. 
    Likewise I re-string around 5-6 guitars a week, that go one sale in the shop and I've had no issue - But don't doubt one second the comments from various FB guys 

However I have some single strings in the EB Custom Singles box and some of these have rusty patches - When we buy loose strings they don't come in the sealed packet, as per sets - Equally I sell so few single strings in the shop, that they can sit in stock for a while - So I've thrown a few away recently
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    I don't quite get through that many(!), but probably 20-30 packs of EB (mainly 10-46's) per year. I've never come across rusty ones, to be fair. I either buy from Strings Direct or from @guitars4you when I see Mark at a show. 

Call me Dave.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    Chances are it was me @fastonebaz ; - I don't think other stores had any stock of E Ball - All my stock was fresh and purchased for the show, so no old stock - And as Neil states from @IvisonGuitars guitars, then each pack is sealed, so no one could tell

PM me with gauge + address info and I'll send another set out to you - Sorry about that

fandango said:
    Could be genuine but ancient stock. Could be counterfeit. Either way, the vendor must have known. He wants naming.
    Oh please, not another witch hunt.
    Thanks for that, before I get hung drawn and 1/4'd for been a total lying deceitful retailer
    Well fielded, sir!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    I think other string makers have had issues with their packaging fairly recently too.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    The paper issue was industry wide with all companies being affected. 
    The paper envelope supplier changed the pH of the paper , or one of the processes without telling the string companies and rusty strings were the result.
    It drove the companies crazy - it was 5-6 years ago I should add.
    It is why a few companies gave up paper entirely.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!