MJW Bantam v MJW Roadstar 18

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    I think @shaunm has some experience of both of these amps at gig volumes.
    I do.

I had both variants of the Bantam and a Roadstar. Love them, fantastic amps. The 5e3 especially, there’s something about that amp that just works. 

Personally i couldn’t gig the 18 watt versions on their own, they were just a little too quiet in a two band set up. Admittedly we are a loud band most of the time. I used the normal bantam and the 5e3 together for a while too and thought it was a great sound, I really enjoyed it.

A 36 watt version of the 5e3 would be a fantastic gigging amp. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Another question and probably worth me speaking to @martinw ;himself, but which head or combo from the MJW range would be closer sounding to a 64'-67' Blackface Bassman? 
    The Electra Twang in 30W or 50W is a platform for this, being Blackface based, but easily converted into other close variations.
    All of my amps are custom built, so are configured to customer spec, and it's easy to tweak the design to be an electronic match for whatever circuit, add or delete reverb, trem etc.

Thanks for the kind words in this thread. I haven't chipped in further, as it's good to hear user views, but I can be contacted through the website by phone or email.

Cheers! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Also, have a look at Martin's thread in the Made in the UK section, as there is a Bassman type Electra on page 2.
    Thank @victorludorum will take a look
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinw said:
    Another question and probably worth me speaking to @martinw ;himself, but which head or combo from the MJW range would be closer sounding to a 64'-67' Blackface Bassman? 
    The Electra Twang in 30W or 50W is a platform for this, being Blackface based, but easily converted into other close variations.
    All of my amps are custom built, so are configured to customer spec, and it's easy to tweak the design to be an electronic match for whatever circuit, add or delete reverb, trem etc.

Thanks for the kind words in this thread. I haven't chipped in further, as it's good to hear user views, but I can be contacted through the website by phone or email.

Cheers! :)
    Thanks Martin, that's really helpful stuff. I think I need to sit down and have a proper think of what I really need from my next amp. head is spinning with all these options. It's definitely going to used mainly at home but used for the odd small/medium gig. Will be in touch at some point.
  • You could do a lot worse than giving Martin a ring and then going off to do some research before making a decision.

I’ve lost count of the number of MJWs I’ve played.
    I’ve owned 4 and all were great

The 18w el84 roadster could be too dirty at volume if you need loud clean.

30w Electra with power scaling or master volume sounds like a good one to talk through with Martin.

I’m finding my mini jubilee covers my current need, but when it blows up I’ll be back to Martin for a
    2203 styled Electra.

still got my ef86 front ended roadstar, which still provides nicer clean sounds than a Princeton to me.

as long as you work out what you want you can’t go too far wrong 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You could do a lot worse than giving Martin a ring and then going off to do some research before making a decision.

I’ve lost count of the number of MJWs I’ve played.
    I’ve owned 4 and all were great

The 18w el84 roadster could be too dirty at volume if you need loud clean.

30w Electra with power scaling or master volume sounds like a good one to talk through with Martin.

I’m finding my mini jubilee covers my current need, but when it blows up I’ll be back to Martin for a
    2203 styled Electra.

still got my ef86 front ended roadstar, which still provides nicer clean sounds than a Princeton to me.

as long as you work out what you want you can’t go too far wrong 
    Thanks for that! Yeah I'm liking the sound of the electra also but the Standard Bantam is still calling me, mainly for portability