MIJ v CIJ v Mexican Fender...quality and values...any differences?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    The early Mexican Fenders were gash. Then they got much better. The new stuff is really good. 

Japan: I’ve played a lot of JV and E series Fenders. Not all are amazing. But quite a few are. Lots of pro’s back in the 80’s used Japanese Fenders. Alan Murphy, Steve Rothery, John McGeoch etc. 

When Ishibashi first started selling Mexican Fenders they upspecked things like the pickups for the Japanese market. I don’t think they do that now. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16097
    I've been playing a Mexican Brad Paisley Tele alongside a Custom Shop Nocaster.......the Mex had a £100 fettling
    There is no difference in quality, playability or sound.......in fact the Mex possibly sounds better .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    Dominic said:
    I've been playing a Mexican Brad Paisley Tele alongside a Custom Shop Nocaster.......the Mex had a £100 fettling
    There is no difference in quality, playability or sound.......in fact the Mex possibly sounds better .
    That’s a really unhelpful thing to say! I’ve been trying to talk myself out of a hankering for one of those ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 851
    dazzajl said:
    Dominic said:
    That’s a really unhelpful thing to say! I’ve been trying to talk myself out of a hankering for one of those ;)
    That doesn't help my GAS either. Huge BP fan. 
    I've played a couple and really liked then, but I don't need another Tele. (Repeat to self)
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    Being on look out for a cheap strat (looking for the best possible, naturally), this thread has helped to confuse me even more :-)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18769
    For recent guitars, the best guide is probably the RRP when new

Fender could build USA-quality guitars in China if they wanted to, most brands have tried various hierarchies where country of manufacture ends up as shorthand for quality level, but it does not have to work like that.  

For instance, I have a classical guitar made in China that is better and more expensive than Pro ones from Spain
    I've had Korean-made Schecters as good as USA strats, Japanese Ibanez semis that are better than Gibsons

Fender and Gibson are probably locked into making their top-level stuff in the USA for branding reasons

Therefore you need to know what market segment and manufacturing spec each run of guitars was built for.
    I bought some pawn-shop fenders a few years ago, the Japanese ones were much better than the Mexican, but the new RRP was higher too

Spot on IMHO.
    But, I reckon Fender and Gibson are probably locked into making their so called top-level stuff in the USA for marketing reasons  ;) 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658

Cant comment on Mexican made Fender but had quite a few Jap Fenders over the years... off the top of my head

72 Thinline Tele

Tele Custom

Jaguar

Jazzmaster

Mustang

All decent guitars that could perhaps be improved with better pickups & electronics.... I'd not pay silly money for a Jap Fender £500 at an absolute push

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    The japanese 72 thinline teles have ceramic pickups whereas the Mex have Alnicos.  Any thoughts guys on the difference ...negligible, noticeable, and if so tonal difference? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11900
    Rabs said:

How about this for a MIJ Strat  :)

has @HarrySeven got one of these?

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Rabs said:

How about this for a MIJ Strat  :)

has @HarrySeven got one of these?

:open_mouth: No! And I don’t want one!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/