Modding/Upgrading a 62 RI Jap Strat

What's Hot
Was fortunate enough to be given a 90's Jap 62 reissue Strat (Rosewood/3TSB) recently and it plays so nicely that I think it needs some upgrades to it to make it a really decent guitar.

What would you guys look to upgrade 1st?

1 - Saddles - has the unstamped saddles - are these worthy of an upgrade to stamped/graphtech ones?
2 - Block - again, not knowing what these came with as standard - is a Kev H block a worthy upgrade.
3 - Pots etc - I would imagine that the Jap pots are probably sub-standard - CTS jobbies worth it?
4 - Pickups - I actually find the tone and voicing to be quite nice as it is - I have a set of Fat 50's in my JV which are really nice - any suggestions here for a worthy upgrade.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    I wouldn't bother changing anything on the guitar unless you're unhappy with something specifically.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14457
    welshboyo said:
    1 - Saddles - has the unstamped saddles - are these worthy of an upgrade to stamped/graphtech ones?
    If you want the guitar to sound like a Sixties Fender, get the stamped steel saddles.

Graphtech String Saver saddles are fine if you are not fussed about vintage appearances and twang.

welshboyo said:
    2 - Block - again, not knowing what these came with as standard - is a Kev H block a worthy upgrade?
    Find out what came as standard. Hopefully, it is decent quality machined solid steel rather than a casting.

welshboyo said:
    3 - Pots etc - I would imagine that the Jap pots are probably sub-standard - CTS jobbies worth it?
    The MIJ pots that usually come in such guitars have a distinctive typeface for the engraved letters and numbers. Their quality is actually at least as good as the current Taiwanese CTS pots. Just make sure that the innards are in good condition.

welshboyo said:
    4 - Pickups - I actually find the tone and voicing to be quite nice as it is - I have a set of Fat 50's in my JV which are really nice - any suggestions here for a worthy upgrade.
    I have a 2016 FSR Sixties Stratocaster. This month, I have been mostly enjoying it with Seymour Duncan Antiquity and Five-Two single coils. 

5 - Selector switch. If the guitar has an eight-contacts-in-line selector switch, this is the first thing to replace. 

Additionally, if you are thinking to replace the pots, this is an opportunity to reconfigure the controls. You could add a blend control, seven sound switching or G&L PTB tone circuitry.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10491
    edited April 2019 tFB Trader
    longjaw said:
    I wouldn't bother changing anything on the guitar unless you're unhappy with something specifically.
    What that man says every time ... don't fix what ain't broke. If something niggles you ... go for it.
    I'd say paying for a professional grade setup is the first thing to do on any guitar ... they almost always can be coaxed to play even better than you imagine. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3044
    My Jap Strat has graphtech saddles + nut, Kev Hurley steel block,, Kinman pickups and K9 switching loom, oh and a new body, and hardware. Basically, the only original bit left is the neck :)

R.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10491
    tFB Trader
    My Jap Strat has graphtech saddles + nut, Kev Hurley steel block,, Kinman pickups and K9 switching loom, oh and a new body, and hardware. Basically, the only original bit left is the neck :)

R.
    I had a US Strat that was like that ... neck was original ... everything else was changed out ... remember, if you want to maintain resale value ... keep the old bits. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

R.
    I had a US Strat that was like that ... neck was original ... everything else was changed out ... remember, if you want to maintain resale value ... keep the old bits. 
    I got to the stage that I realised I could get a new neck and put the original guitar back together :)

It was only a Foto Flame Strat, so nothing too valuable.

R.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    Thanks all for your replies, I think I’ll get a setup as the initial piece and take it from there!!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    I’d suggest a Kev H trem block is an upgrade on ANY Fender as he uses a sleeved arm to eliminate slop. Even high end US Fenders have that problem.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    I’d suggest a Kev H trem block is an upgrade on ANY Fender as he uses a sleeved arm to eliminate slop. Even high end US Fenders have that problem.
    He will use whatever you want. eg. mine have threaded holes.

R.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I have a 62RI strat and it was great as is. I didn't change anything.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    So mine has a Wudtone block, CTS pots and Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups. IIRC there's a Blues at the bridge an '54s in the neck and middle.