tone king gremlin mains transformer

What's Hot
Djt80Djt80 Frets: 5
Hello,
first time poster.

I am considering buying the Tone King Gremlin. I am living in the UK but I will be moving back to the US at the end of year.  Obviously I could wait for 8 months then buy it in the US and save money and headache.  But patience is difficult. 

Does anyone know if the Gremlin mains transformer is multi-tap and can be wired to take 110v or 220v?
i would not want to use an outboard step-down adapter. . 

I have inquired on multiple channels so am trying this community for any thoughts:
- 3 guitar shops who didn’t know
- TK US and Europe distributors, and TK itself - none of which responded to emails. 

Any help appreciated. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Djt80 said:

I have inquired on multiple channels so am trying this community for any thoughts:
    - TK US and Europe distributors, and TK itself - none of which responded to emails. 

With back-up like that I'd be doubting the wisdom of buying the thing in the first place...There are some great UK builders - including some on here - who'd build you a similar spec, and with the mains voltage option.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Djt80Djt80 Frets: 5
    uncledick said:
    Djt80 said:

With back-up like that I'd be doubting the wisdom of buying the thing in the first place...There are some great UK builders - including some on here - who'd build you a similar spec, and with the mains voltage option.
    I am tending to agree. If you can’t be arsed to respond on a very basic question...Even a large name Marshall responds quickly and detailed on more complex queries. 

I would also prefer to support a UK builder.  Could you just give me a few names to research?  I have a Marshall JTM1 so am looking for something on the other end of the spectrum.  The built-in Attenuator and cab quality was what attracted me to the Tone King. 
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    I'm a Cornell man myself and currently gig with a Romany Pro which has superb build quality and excellent back-up from the man who designs them.  I know that MJW has a good reputation and others will suggest equally good alternatives. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you, will take a look and inquire. 
    As an update, TK Europe distributor responded:

“sorry for the late reply. 

All Tone King amplifier do have a multi voltage power supply that just need to be rewired. This could be done by every Tone King service center either in the USA or even in the UK. As long as an official Service Center does this, warranty wound be effected.

Once you decide to have the voltage switched, let me know and I’ll send you the infos for a service center near by you.

Let me know if you need anything!”
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    If you are after a british amp builder, as well as MJW which has already been suggested you are missing out if you don’t contact Rift Amps and Modulus Amplification. Both are members here and make some stunning stuff