What have I done to my Strat?

dindudedindude Frets: 8539
Short story:

Wired up a new Seymour Duncan single coil into my Strat bridge position some months ago. Forgot that wires need to be other way around to normal convention with SD so position 2 was out of phase - not a big deal as don’t really use that position.

Anyhow I got round to swapping wires over on the bridge pickup the other day and now all positions sound weedy - like all positions are out of phase.

What in the bejusus have I done? Anyone shed any light?

thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    Overheated the pot, possibly.

Do you have a treble-pass cap on the volume pot?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Yes, could well have overheated the pot, would that have this effect? Not sure about a treble bleed, it’s a Custom Shop ‘60’s, so prob not I would have thought.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    If it has a treble-pass cap and the pot is damaged, you'll just be hearing the sound via the cap, which will be thin and quiet, and possibly slightly 'phasey'.

If it's not that, is a ground connection missing somewhere? Does the jack ground wire go to the volume pot as well as the pickups', or to one of the tone pots? Fender CS's wiring is often a bit haphazard in my experience!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Not sure, I’ll need to open it up again and investigate, thanks for the info so far....