amp crackle

bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
Hi all, wondering if anyone might be able to help me diagnose a crackle in my cornford harlequin. Some info that might help, no guitar plugged in:

1. master on 0, volume on 0, no crackle
2 .master on 0, volume turned up even to full, no crackle
3. volume on 0, master gradually turned up, crackle present and gets gradually louder
4. whatever level the master is on, increasing the volume increases the loudness of the crackle and also adds in significant white noise.

Be very grateful if anyone has any ideas!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Try replacing the first preamp valve. It sounds like the noise is probably coming from the second gain stage. The volume control is a dual-gang pot, one half before the second stage of that valve and the other afterwards, but the after half doesn't go right to zero, there's a resistor in series with it.

If it's not that, try changing the other valve just to be sure. If changing neither of them fixes it it's likely to be a tech job since it's probably a failing resistor or cap in that same part of the circuit.

Full marks for giving an accurate description of the problem .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bloomerbloomer Frets: 209
    Thanks very much for the advice, I'll try changing the valve and see what happens.