Greer Lightspeed vs Southland Harmonic Overdrive

mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
I’m on the lookout for a new drive pedal and I’m really interested in the light speed but I’m worried it won’t have enough gain. 

I play a Les Paul into a 50w plexi style amp set to a light crunch. I play everything from country/Americana/ blues up to classic rock so probably need G ‘n’ R, Whitesnake, Blackstone Cherry level of grunt at the uppermost range. 

I think the lightspeed will be fine pushing the plexi crunch further into classic rock territory but occasionally we don’t use our own back line and I might have to use a completely clean amp and I doubt the lightspeed would have enough gain in that context?? I would be stacking it with a Klone.

I then saw the Greer Southland Harmonic overdrive which according to the Greer website takes the lightspeed a bit further by adding more gain and altering the voicing slightly so I wonder if it might be a better bet.

Anyone tried the Southland? 
Any lightspeed users able to comment on how much gain it has in the context of what I would use it for?

Cheers

Mark
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6819
    edited April 2019
    This is me with a Rangemaster very gently pushing a Lightspeed into a clean Marshall. Was tons more gain on tap if needed. 

https://soundcloud.com/user-886084606/steppin-out

The Southland sounds great in demos but every account from owners is that it totally disappears in the mix. I'd stick with the Lightspeed and stack it with your Klone. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom