Kemper & Valve amp woes

What's Hot
FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1428
edited April 2019 in Amps
Been using my Kemper pretty much exclusively for the last couple of years but been really gassing for a proper valve amp as I’ve really been missing it lately.

Had a little play around with my friends JCM 900 and AC30 at rehearsal last night only to find I vastly prefer the Kemper. It sounded absolutely massive compared to those two, I mean it gave them a proper spanking. That’s just raw tone through a regular cab, let alone the flexibility and effects options.

So what on earth am I meant to be endlessly researching and buying on forums now? Could maybe look at pedals or a different guitar or something I suppose.
4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    I use a helix to gig so no amps on stage and have just ordered a rift amp to go with my mjw. Just fancied one rather than a need to get a sound or use it to gig. I am def at the limit of what I can buy with gig money.

I justified a new small amp that can sit in the lounge beside my guitars when I can just as easily pull my current amp or helix out the cupboard. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    You don't have to spend all your money on amps, guitars and pedals.
    Drugs and prostitutes can very quickly empty your bank account.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    What cab was it? Were you using direct profiles?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Been using my Kemper pretty much exclusively for the last couple of years but been really gassing for a proper valve amp as I’ve really been missing it lately.

Had a little play around with my friends JCM 900 and AC30 at rehearsal last night only to find I vastly prefer the Kemper. It sounded absolutely massive compared to those two, I mean it gave them a proper spanking. That’s just raw tone through a regular cab, let alone the flexibility and effects options.

So what on earth am I meant to be endlessly researching and buying on forums now? Could maybe look at pedals or a different guitar or something I suppose.

This is pretty much how I got interested in bass guitars... Axe FX does all I need, and evertune pretty much solved all my electric guitar issues.

However I’ve now discovered Dingwall basses so at this rate I’ll need to be learning drums 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Freebird said:
    What cab was it? Were you using direct profiles?
    Was a Marshall 1960AV 4x12 and a direct (merged) profile.

• Been using my Kemper pretty much exclusively for the last couple of years but been really gassing for a proper valve amp as I’ve really been missing it lately.

This is pretty much how I got interested in bass guitars... Axe FX does all I need, and evertune pretty much solved all my electric guitar issues.

However I’ve now discovered Dingwall basses so at this rate I’ll need to be learning drums 
    Damn I do need to try an Evertune equipped guitar. Wish there was an easy way to retro fit them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Sassafras said:
    You don't have to spend all your money on amps, guitars and pedals.
    Drugs and prostitutes can very quickly empty your bank account.
    Especially the ones that drug you and rinse your cards while you sleep it off
    See you must have holidayed in Rio de Janeiro too !
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    edited April 2019
    Fiftyshadesofjay said:

That is literally everything I stand against 
    I was slightly joking . A couple of years ago I would have said the same... bearing in mind I’m a big Neil Young fan .

What I meant seriously was, do something that takes your playing in a totally different direction rather than just thinking about gear.

For what it’s worth, although I’ve never actually tried a Kemper I now really have no interest in valve amps either - not just because I spend too much time repairing them, but because I’m actually quite happy with playing a multi-FX setup through a solid-state power amp. It sounds better than my analogue pedalboard through a valve amp did, as well as being more flexible.

Or take up bass. That’s a whole different rabbit warren...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Fiftyshadesofjay said:

That is literally everything I stand against 
    I was slightly joking . A couple of years ago I would have said the same... bearing in mind I’m a big Neil Young fan .

What I meant seriously was, do something that takes your playing in a totally different direction rather than just thinking about gear.

For what it’s worth, although I’ve never actually tried a Kemper I now really have no interest in valve amps either - not just because I spend too much time repairing them, but because I’m actually quite happy with playing a multi-FX setup through a solid-state power amp. It sounds better than my analogue pedalboard through a valve amp did, as well as being more flexible.

Or take up bass. That’s a whole different rabbit warren...
    I figured that, I’m definitely more on the Neil Young side rather than Steve Vai too!

I really should get a decent bass and play around with that. I’ve done a few gigs standing in on it but never pursued it properly.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3471
    edited April 2019
    Dingwall basses rock! However, now I've moved the Kemper on, I'm using a pretty drab DI instead of a big Ampeg profile! Any advice welcome!

Regarding Kemper - it's amazing. Hands down. The reason I headed back to amps recently is because I couldn't for the life of me find a good profile of a Tube Driver and the settings I like to use, nor could I find decent profiles of a Cornish SS-3 or a Thorpy Gunshot, for example. And when I eventually found them, they were recorded witha thin and rubbish Peavey clean channel, for example! I use very specific sounds on those pedals, and into a very specific amp...that's MY sound. Or at least it was before I went digital.

Since switching back to the Laney Lionheart, I've also found that some of the clean tunes I wrote before going digital are a lot more along the lines of how I remember them. I really struggled with one tune to ever get it to sound good on the Fractal or the Kemper and have proper struggled to replicate that feel/tone. Now I have it again, I realise that it must have been the tubes or circuitry in the amp causing that missing feeling. That sounds crazy and it's not something I considered to be honest, but I can't deny it. I picked the strat up and that sound/feel/tone was there clear as day, first time I used the amp again. It was a revelation.

However, the Kemper had a definite sound that's just huge if you want it to be. It's ready processed and ready to go when you need it. No doubt I'll miss the simplicity, but I won't miss the battle of trying to pinpoint the exact sounds I'm after, which I can get so much easier now with the amp and pedals.

EDIT: I'll caveat all of the above with the fact I don't play live, I only use this setup at home and I'm using a semi-digital solution - amp(s) -> Torpedo CAB M -> Load box. So the cab and mic stuff still sounds great and consistent. Best of both worlds, for me...at the moment!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6871
    Been using my Kemper pretty much exclusively for the last couple of years but been really gassing for a proper valve amp as I’ve really been missing it lately.

I feel similar about the Fractal products, played through headphones or a CLR/PA it has consistent sounds at all volumes, isn’t directional, easy to modify the amp sounds beyond the standard amp EQ, can add superb modifiers for volume based effects tempo, etc and great effects. I’m trying a few valve amps at the moment, but usually go back to the AX8 or FXIII as they make sounds I’m happier with.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Dingwall basses rock! However, now I've moved the Kemper on, I'm using a pretty drab DI instead of a big Ampeg profile! Any advice welcome!

If you’re interested in plugins check out Neural DSP Darkglass. Ampeg SVX 2 (Amplitube add on) is also really good. 
  • Dingwall basses rock! However, now I've moved the Kemper on, I'm using a pretty drab DI instead of a big Ampeg profile! Any advice welcome!

If you’re interested in plugins check out Neural DSP Darkglass. Ampeg SVX 2 (Amplitube add on) is also really good. 
    I was thinking that, but was wondering if it'd be better save a few quid more for the real thing?

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922

I was thinking that, but was wondering if it'd be better save a few quid more for the real thing?

All good! As an aside I’ve found Helix really good for bass.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited April 2019
    Helix is good for bass, better than the Axe FX for it IMO.

In terms of Darkglass pedal vs plugin I actually preferred the plugin to my particular B7KU which I then sold.  I've kept my B3K which sounds the nicest, it's more aggressive and clear but it lacks the EQ section.

I've got a Vintage Ultra and I do think it sounds a bit nicer than the plugin but to be honest I use the plugin the majority of the time, it's just easier and has a decent cab section included.

I also have an Alpha Omega which is quite a different sound, much more raw compared to the more refined sounding Vintage and BxK pedals.  I'm hoping they bring out a plugin version of it as then I'd probably sell my pedal, I use that sound the least.