Xotic guitars

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
So why are they so damn expensive 
. I mean they’re only bolt on guitars aren’t they ;)
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    Careful, the fendermentalist's will be monitoring your transmissions  :o
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Yes but so are Fender CS, most Suhr’s etc etc 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7155
    I suspect the answer is time.

As in low production, made by few people using choice cuts of wood. Takes longer to build when a factory isn't churning out a few thousand a week and it is more expensive to build them.

Time = Money.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Careful, the fendermentalist's will be monitoring your transmissions  :o
    Ha ha I did think that lol. 
    stonevibe said:

As in low production, made by few people using choice cuts of wood. Takes longer to build when a factory isn't churning out a few thousand a week and it is more expensive to build them.

Time = Money.
    But at that price one could commission a build exactly to your own spec/colour. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 246
    That seems to be the standard price for the boutique brands all competing with each other.  I played one it didnt do anything for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3335
    stonevibe said:

Time = Money.
    True but what about PRS, they only make around 90 a day. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Numerous bolt on neck guitar builders fall into the £2000-3500 price bracket. Not just Xotic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    I'm not sure many things can cause me to disregard a person's future opinions on any topic whatsoever as finding out that they based their view of a guitar's value on the method used to attach the neck to the body.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24827
    edited April 2019
    Numerous bolt on neck guitar builders fall into the £2000-3500 price bracket. Not just Xotic. 
    Schecter started the posh/expensive Fender thing in the 70s and a host of others followed. 

With a name like ‘Xotic’ - you wouldn’t expect them to be cheap, would you?
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    stonevibe said:

Time = Money.
    But at that price one could commission a build exactly to your own spec/colour. 
    Why would you when you can assemble one yourself with relatively little skill?

Not that I personally ever buy a guitar with resale in mind. If I had that thought whilst trying a guitar, it's not the right guitar.

The thing is a fender will retain a chunk of it's value and you have a tonne of examples to choose from to find the right one.

Suhr and co retain less value and have a smaller selection available to try

Then you have your luthier build. Pay 2500k? You'd be lucky to get 500 back the moment you cross that luthiers threshold.

Also it's hard to know what neck profile you really want, what radius etc. I've owned a lot of guitars and played even more but I have no definite favourite profile or radius.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    tFB Trader
    prlgmnr said:
    I'm not sure many things can cause me to disregard a person's future opinions on any topic whatsoever as finding out that they based their view of a guitar's value on the method used to attach the neck to the body.
    Schecter started the posh/expensive Fender thing in the 70s and a host of others followed. 

With a name like ‘Xotic’ - you wouldn’t expect them to be cheap, would you?
    All of the above. The way the neck is attached shouldn’t determine the RRP of the guitar. 

@richardhomer “you cheap bastard guitars” doesn’t have the same ring as “Xotic”. I can see why they chose the latter.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7155
    grungebob said:
    stonevibe said:

Time = Money.
    True but what about PRS, they only make around 90 a day. 
    Good point.

I suspect that PRS hardware is pretty bespoke and they have their own non standard finishes on 10 top flame maple etc. This will all add up to a higher cost, along with paying a decent wage to the workers, plus taxes and business running costs like advertising, warranties etc

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

prlgmnr said:
    I needn’t be judged on a flippant statement. I am very aware of the artistry involved in building a guitar but I’d rather go to a lone luthier who I’d know will be making it personally than go to a large company churning out loads a year for the same money 
    tFB Trader
    Okay, I’ll be the bad guy here. The following question is needless nitpicking....

An Xotic guitar is “expensive” but a sole luthier made one at the same price isn’t?  
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24827

prlgmnr said:
    I needn’t be judged on a flippant statement. I am very aware of the artistry involved in building a guitar but I’d rather go to a lone luthier who I’d know will be making it personally than go to a large company churning out loads a year for the same money 
    I never really get the ‘luthier’ thing. I’m not convinced someone who builds small numbers of guitars personally is inherently likely to build one that is better than one made by a company that builds hundreds or thousands. The best ‘high end’ makers (eg PRS, Tom Anderson, Suhr, et al) produce exceptional quality and consistency.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2019

prlgmnr said:
    I never really get the ‘luthier’ thing. I’m not convinced someone who builds small numbers of guitars personally is inherently likely to build one that is better than one made by a company that builds hundreds or thousands. The best ‘high end’ makers (eg PRS, Tom Anderson, Suhr, et al) produce exceptional quality and consistency.
    The personal involvement is what I loved when I commissioned my luthier made guitar recently l. My spec exactly, colour, woods, neck etc and I liked the fact that I was helping a small uk company thrive etc. 

However i totally get the import taxes aren’t cheap these days and on top of that the dealers take their share of course. Everyone has to make a bit to survive as I do also. I’m just illustrating we have choices now and I’d find it hard to spend cash on a production model that isn’t tailored for me at least. Patrick Eggle is a company of course but even then I feel he would change spec to how I would like it if I’d wanted. Probably would have to pay a bit more though admittedly 

By the way no one said the known brands of the world are lesser quality. But realise resale value will be better I guess if that is a consideration for someone. A lot gets moved on here I notice so one can buy and sell without losing too much money. I realise that I would lose loads if I ever needed to sell my guitar. Maybe that is what one pays for then with a known brand. I get it now

I think I’ve answered my own question :)
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5280

prlgmnr said:
    totally agree, I dont want the surgeon who does a dozen ops a year, I want the fella who has done hundreds
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    mgaw said:

prlgmnr said:
    totally agree, I dont want the surgeon who does a dozen ops a year, I want the fella who has done hundreds
    Depends who the luthier is 
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    prlgmnr said:
    I needn’t be judged on a flippant statement.
    It wasn't directed at you personally, just everyone who's ever said that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom