National anthems on guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HerrMetal said:
    JDB of the Manics has been known to do the Welsh one live as well.  Very good it is too.
    Cool, I bet it is. I’ve seen the manics a few times but never seen that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22989
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L2IazCK-jw

Sorry, but they're all shite really.  I don't think the tunes work on guitar.  Not in these arrangements, anyway.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72480

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    Yas, one of my favourite anthems!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24378
    edited April 2019
    Oh poor Titch.  I remember him with fondness and awe.  I used to watch him in the Superclarks in the Cardiff Arms in Swansea.  I drove all the way to watch their final gig in Treorchy.  Watching him do Purple Rain was a experience not to be missed.  Lovely guy too.  HTV used to use his Henrix-esque rendition of My Hen Wlad fy Nhadau (Welsh anthem) to close for the night (when TV wasn't 24h).
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9658
    I am indeed a massive fan - grew up listening to Geraint Jarman a’r Cynganeddwyr and saw them live many times. I think this version is better:

https://youtu.be/bfACo_z2GQU

There’s a studio version which is excellent, at least two guitar parts interplaying.

I’ve seen JDB play it as well, but not a patch on Tich.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22989
    I am indeed a massive fan - grew up listening to Geraint Jarman a’r Cynganeddwyr and saw them live many times. I think this version is better:

https://youtu.be/bfACo_z2GQU

There’s a studio version which is excellent, at least two guitar parts interplaying.

I’ve seen JDB play it as well, but not a patch on Tich.
    That one is better.

And I see that YouTube channel is owned by - or at least takes its name from - Len Jones, the guitarist in Rhiannon Tomos a'r Band.  I remember seeing them on local TV as a kid!  Thanks for posting that.  :)
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6698
    edited April 2019
    I am indeed a massive fan - grew up listening to Geraint Jarman a’r Cynganeddwyr and saw them live many times. 
    Did anyone hear Geraint a'r Cynganeddwyr playing in the epic Moving Being production "Mabinogi" at Cardiff Castle in (I think) 1983?
    Look at Len’s Youtube channel @Philly_Q, there’s quite a few Rhiannon Tomos clips. The band I was in as a teenager supported them several times - we only had practice amps and had to ask if we could borrow their vintage AC30s!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Look at Len’s Youtube channel @Philly_Q, there’s quite a few Rhiannon Tomos clips. The band I was in as a teenager supported them several times - we only had practice amps and had to ask if we could borrow their vintage AC30s!
    Great to see more Titch fans on here.

There’s some great guitar playing on those clips. I used to hear Rhiannon’s unique rock voice on the radio when I was a kid; this song especially, classic:

https://youtu.be/zMHPrljXfBc

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    That record was on the jukebox in Glan Llyn when I was about 12-13, and I became gradually obsessed by Gormod i’w Golli - great melancholic song and Rhiannon’s voice... Glad to say I tracked down a copy on ebay a couple of years ago at a decent price. 

The other guitarist, Meredydd Morris is great as well, as tasteful as Lendrix is flashy. He played on my favourite Meic Stevens album, despite Meic selling one of his guitars and hiding in a pub the day before the recording sessions started.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5530
    Certainly not Metallica's Star Spangled Banner, which they seem to do a lot.