Anyone moved or removed the middle pup on a strat?

What's Hot
I am intrigued to know if anyone has either moved the middle pup up alongside the neck pickup or in front of the bridge in order to create more picking space in the centre?  Or maybe even removed the middle pup altogether?

If so, how did it sound? And did it make much difference in the playability department? Oh and pics would be good too ;)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14457
    Blackmore removes them.

Robbie Robertson sometimes has the middle pickup positioned next to the bridge pickup to form what looks like a slanted humbucker.

On some HSS Stratocasters, Fender repositions the middle pickup slightly towards the neck pickup. In my opinion, this alters sound of the neck + centre combination for the worse.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Not a strat but this guy has the right idea...

https://i.imgur.com/pi4H0pz.jpg

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    You could just lower the pickup to sit flush with the fingerboard.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    prowla said:
    Yeah thought of that but then all pups would need to be flush otherwise middle would sound too weak. I think patlanski - or one of the new breed - sets up with all pups flush so could give that I go..
    Blackmore removes them.

Robbie Robertson sometimes has the middle pickup positioned next to the bridge pickup to form what looks like a slanted humbucker.

On some HSS Stratocasters, Fender repositions the middle pickup slightly towards the neck pickup. In my opinion, this alters sound of the neck + centre combination for the worse.
    Well I wouldn't want to alter the sound of the neck so it would have to go back to the bridge ala robbie Robertson 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    prowla said:
    Yeah thought of that but then all pups would need to be flush otherwise middle would sound too weak. I think patlanski - or one of the new breed - sets up with all pups flush so could give that I go..
    Well, if you were just using it to shape the tone of the bridge pickup to get the out of phase tone, then it might work. It could be handy for playing quiet parts too...
    @markv hi there, just found your thread on a similar subject. Did you ever do the middle pup mod?

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/63429/middle-pickup-position

I think this is the way to go... 

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    @markv hi there, just found your thread on a similar subject. Did you ever do the middle pup mod?

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/63429/middle-pickup-position

No, I didn't go ahead with it in the end. I tried lowering the middle pickup and that was OK-ish but not very satisfactory. I couldn't find any evidence that you'd keep the same sounds if you moved it - and it's those in-between sounds that are my favourite thing on a Strat. In fact, soon after I decided it was about the only thing I like about Strats anyway and these days I'm mostly a twin-humbucker kinda guy ;) 

Sorry not very helpful I know!
    Drastic but definitely helps with the picking  :3

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Ry Cooder does this:

There is a company called Waterslide in US that makes variations on this - very cool indeed!
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Yup, looks a bit weird, but can really dig in with my fingers now..

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    The middle p90 on my firebird is not much use to me. I'm thinking of pulling it so I can use the pot that currently blends in the mid p90 and have proper 2x vol 2x tone for neck and bridge.
    bbill335 said:
    The middle p90 on my firebird is not much use to me. I'm thinking of pulling it so I can use the pot that currently blends in the mid p90 and have proper 2x vol 2x tone for neck and bridge.
    Yes for me the first tone pot is master and the second blends the neck and bridge for that Tele (ish) sound. More than enough tonal options for me ;)