GRETSCH G6228, G6228FM or G5220?

What's Hot
Ok, so i went to my local guitar store to try a load of Gretsch guitars and Les Pauls and although I love the look of a good les paul they just don't feel right in my hands. I tried lots of centre block and hollow Gretsch guitars but the one guitar i really bonded with was the Electromatic G5220 Jet. 

For the price i though it was insane money. It did feel quite heavy though. 

Now after coming back and doing some research Gretsch make the Japanese G6228 which looks the same but you can get a Flame Edition too. Do people like the Flame version or plain. 

Looking at the Players Edition it seems to be well spec'd with the locking tuners, treble bleed, no load tone pot. Do they have better pickups? Lighter in weight?

My real question is do i buy blind (not try one out) as the newest store that have them in stock is too far. Do i go for the G5220, G6228 or G6228FM?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    If you want any more info ask away.
  • Gretsch you say... Paging @TheMarlin ;
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5431
    The FM version of the 6228 has an ebony board vs rosewood on the non-FM vs god knows what (maybe laurel or walnut) on the Electromatic. As the flame maple is otherwise purely cosmetic I would make the choice on which fingerboard wood I preferred. 
    Whitecat said:
    The FM version of the 6228 has an ebony board vs rosewood on the non-FM vs god knows what (maybe laurel or walnut) on the Electromatic. As the flame maple is otherwise purely cosmetic I would make the choice on which fingerboard wood I preferred. 
    It’s stained walnut. I tried both the 6228 and 5220 side by side. Yes the Japanese one was better made but preferred 5220, much preferred the pickups.
    markj said:
    Whitecat said:
    It’s stained walnut. I tried both the 6228 and 5220 side by side. Yes the Japanese one was better made but preferred 5220, much preferred the pickups.
    If that’s the case there’s little reason to not just get the 5220. If you really want you can upgrade some components on it and still have enough for several very good nights out at the pub...
    Whitecat said:
    markj said:
    Whitecat said:
    If that’s the case there’s little reason to not just get the 5220. If you really want you can upgrade some components on it and still have enough for several very good nights out at the pub...
    See my link to the upgrades I did to mine.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5773
    There is nothing quite like a proper 6 series Gretsch and the jets especially have always felt very special to me. It’s very possible that nothing else is going to really scratch that itch for you and however good the 5 series guitars get, they are not as good. Fact. 

I have held one of the 5220 Jets, side by side with the 6 version and they are different. Nowhere near enough for me to justify the vast price difference though. I didn’t get to plug it in but if I liked the pickups, they’re not the Blacktop Filters that I really like, it would be the one I’d choose. Probably in the gold top. 
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited April 2019
    yes there is a big price difference. Is it like comparing Fender Mexican  to Fender USA?
    yes there is a big price difference. Is it like comparing Fender Mexican  to Fender USA?
    Price wise, it’s like comparing Squire to Fender Custom Shop. Quality wise, it’s probably not as easy to compare as Mexi and US fender, as the construction of 5 and 6 series Gretschs differs quite a lot but the only justification I can see for the Japanese version is ‘I want it and I can afford  it’ 

If you’re buying with intellect and on the best tool for the job, it has to be 5220. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    If you're not set on brand new, the older Electromatic Jets have BT filtertrons which sound great - used to be quite cheap second hand even for immaculate items. Older Duo Jets (the Japan version) also have filtertrons - worth trying to hear the difference from PAF humbuckers. As I recall Marlin's gone off Electromatics due to the need to replace the nut and fettling the Bigsby!
  • its one of those things... would you buy the 5220 and always be thinking its cheaper components may not last as long etc.Like @markj  has had to mod the guitar. 

With the Japanese version you go get better woods, nut is better etc.

I read this 
    http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/gretsch-g5220-vs-g6228-comparison.186900/

which was interesting! 
    That’s exactly what I’d expect a side by side
    to show up. Definitely not just better but very different and it always comes down to what you want to spend. Is that difference worth 6 times or more the cost to you? 
    its one of those things... would you buy the 5220 and always be thinking its cheaper components may not last as long etc.Like @markj  has had to mod the guitar. 

With the Japanese version you go get better woods, nut is better etc.

I read this http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/gretsch-g5220-vs-g6228-comparison.186900/

which was interesting! 
    I bought the 5220 because I wanted a Gretsch to go along with my collection of Gibson’s and Fender guitars, but didn’t want to spend the amount for the Japanese version. Yes the Japanese version is better made with better hardware but for the cost of the 5220 it’s a no brainier.
  • I just hit the buy it now button!

i went for the 6228 in classic jet black. 
    I just hit the buy it now button!

*best Maître D voice*

A very wise choice sir!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7884

I missed this thread, but I would 100% advise what you’ve done. 

Don’t buy Electromatics, too expensive and too many issues.  The can be great guitars, fantastic guitars even, but only after you’ve thrown more money at them, replaced the crappy hardware, and fettled the hell out of them.  

Save your pennies, and go for quality. Japanese Gretsches are in a completely different league. 

Wise decision sir!

Nice, excellent selection. Look forward to the NGD post. Who got your business?
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited April 2019
    Thanks guys that’s made me feel 100% better  about my decision. I went with jet black as it’s timeless. 

I got the guitar from @peachguitarsdotcom so thanks guys!  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom