Are the session guitarists on Neil Diamond's 'Mr Bojangles' geniuses or just very skilled

What's Hot
TedTed Frets: 126
I wondered if anyone had any opinions on whether the acoustic guitarist on this cover version is an actual genius(as in uniquely talented) or just very experienced. I'd rather that he was not elected as a genius because I want to recreate that sort of effect myself.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14452
    If you overdub enough passes of rhythmic strumming and twiddly lead bits, you will probably achieve a similar result.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    If you overdub enough passes of rhythmic strumming and twiddly lead bits, you will probably achieve a similar result.
    Sounds flippant but I agree - low-pitched rhythm part, high-pitched rhythm part, fingerpicked part, job done. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14452
    Musician Union rules. Three jobs = three musicians (or, at the very least, double scale).
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TedTed Frets: 126
    Thank you for both your explanations. If was was proficient enough on the acoustic(i am not yet) could i do it all by myself - given enough studio time?

I have to say as a listener I am somewhat disillusioned to learn that there was no legend at work on the acoustic of 'Mr Bojangles' but as a potential producer of a similar genre song it is good news.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    I love the production and arrangement on this. Starts with hard-panned drums and guitar as accompaniment and then each go-around it builds with layers and layers until it's beautiful and huge-sounding.

Could you cover it well enough with just one 12-string?
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited April 2019
    So much great acoustic guitar on stuff from this period. Spot of guesswork: as Tommy Cogbill co-produced the album Mr Bojangles is taken from, Touching Me Touching You, it was likely recorded at Chips Moman's American Sound in Memphis... and if that's the case Cogbill would have simply called his bandmates, and so there's a high chance the guitarist is Reggie Young (overdubbing several tracks over Diamond's own rhythm guitar I'd reckon)... and so the answer is yes, very skilled, yes very experienced and yes, also a genius. Probably     
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Didn't Diamond use the Wrecking Crew?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    That's what I was trying to suss out. The link below says the vocal and basic instrumental track for "Holly Holy" (standout track on the same album) was begun at Chips Moman's place then overdubbed in LA with at least some of the Wrecking Crew (inc. Knechtel and Blaine). Of Señor Bojangles, I can find nothing. 

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=QWBPAQAAQBAJ&pg=PA487&lpg=PA487&dq=holly+holy+neil+diamond+blaine+book&source=bl&ots=ZSeEpzJzKW&sig=ACfU3U3yEpJld1-cPGicytSTNSV2KFl1gQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjFxpvo2vjhAhXSTBUIHR7iCKMQ6AEwD3oECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=holly holy neil diamond blaine book&f=false
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2019
    Producer credit is Tom Catalano. Tommy Cogbill helped with the original Diamond compositions on the album, so Bojangles could have been done elsewhere. Session musicians ruled the roost in the 60s and early 70s, and as a former Brill Building writer Diamond would have been part of the music production line process. It's almost certain that top class musicians would have been involved in the recording, as that's how it worked back then.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.