Production Model Fender, Custom Finish - Is Custom Shop the only way?

jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
edited April 2019 in Guitar
Basically I'm keen on a Jazzmaster and the American Original spec is absolutely spot on - I might change pickups or put Staytrem upgrades in at some point but that's about it - but I want a cool colour with a matching headstock. Sunburst and white don't do it for me and the Ocean Turquoise would look great with the matching 'stock but alas, it's not a particular favourite of mine otherwise.

Is there a way to get a custom finish from the factory but otherwise keep the spec the same? My other options are:
(i) find a used AV65 or AO and get it refinished
(ii) go custom shop, which would likely double the price I paid
(iii) wait for a custom shop or AV65 with a finish I like - the original run had Firemist Silver I think?
(iv) wait for Wildwood in the USA to get new special runs in - I really like the Charcoal Frost model they have, but the pound is getting closer and closer to Monopoly money where buying from abroad is concerned.

Colours I'm keen on are Charcoal Frost Metallic, Lake Placid Blue, Firemist Silver or pretty much any non-Candy-Apple-Red metallic... 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27080
    edited April 2019
    Build one? 

Or if you want Firemist, just grab a used AV65.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Do you know anyone in the US? You could do the 'mod shop' online...

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/mod-shop/jazzmaster/0181904706.html

Matching headstock will be impossible, I believe, but there's lot of other stuff you can tweak...
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    Build one? 

Or if you want Firemist, just grab a used AV65.
    I’ve already got a partsmaster, I wanted the real deal! Used AV65 certainly an option l, though that run will be a good few years old now and based on my AV65 jag, it’ll be pretty well worn-those finishes are extremely fragile!

Whitecat said:
    Do you know anyone in the US? You could do the 'mod shop' online...

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/mod-shop/jazzmaster/0181904706.html

Matching headstock will be impossible, I believe, but there's lot of other stuff you can tweak...

Yeah I saw that, looks to be poly finishes, American Professional’ spec only and no headstock so unlikely to tick many of the boxes. I’d rather have an AO in ocean turquoise I think!

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    If the colour is so important to the OP, then buy a bass that he enjoys playing and get it professionally sprayed in the colour of his choice.

Repeat after me: first get your bass.......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum