Dad of the year possibly : NGD content

What's Hot
FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
in Guitar tFB Trader
One lucky girl has had the best 18th Birthday ever! 
Her dad has had us make him custom guitars since before she was born, and she has always wanted one. 
She would often accompany him when he called in on us to have guitars fret dressed or set-up , and totally fell in love with an aqua-marine coloured Tabby Special we had on display, and would often mention it to anyone who would listen. 
So with her 18th Birthday approaching he and his wife hatched a plan to get a guitar that would suit her down to the ground in that same colour scheme. Here are the result and we were very pleased with how it came out. 
We got to see a private video of the birthday morning unboxing and she seemed to tally bowled over too. 
We'll let the pictures do the talking:

TheTabby Hybrid has a general Tele outline - except the lower horn is a strat size horn whichlets us use standard pickguards , so much easier if the player ever wants to change the look.
Pickups are Bare Knuckle VH2 and Mother's Milk combination
Tremolo is a Gotoh 510 series with a steel block and narrow string spacing

Comfort contours like on a strat make the guitar more comfy

As well as the all access neck joint you can see that we used threaded inserts to fit the neck to the body and locked them tight with machine thread bolts

a lean back headstock and an Earvana nut feature at the top end

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 34reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    That's a lovely bit of kit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Awesome. Birds eye maple fretboard?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Very nice work.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18815
    A very lucky person indeed. Long may they enjoy it.  :3
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Loving this particular strain of Tele strat mashup
  • Does he need any other children? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I’m 50 in five years, I must start leaving hints around at my Mothers house...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    That's slick.

More Felines with maple boards please.
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    Hey @FelineGuitars, how much effort does it take to set up and take pictures?  Yours are really good - have you thought of offering pictures as an extra to jobs done? 

With hindsight, I would have loved pics of this quality taken of my refretted guitar.  :#
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Actually that is very much the exact thing I’m looking for in my next guitar whenever that is. Tele style, Trem but a rosewood or ebony board and red it has to be red :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 552
    The strap line is that she is a drummer.......
    It looks a stunner. Great work.

Whilst I guess it's a fair chunk, she will now know what a proper guitar feels and plays like. I'd wager she will still have this in many years to come.
    A great investment in her own future and well being.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    Actually that is very much the exact thing I’m looking for in my next guitar whenever that is. Tele style, Trem but a rosewood or ebony board and red it has to be red :)
    Thankfully Jon who ordered this knew EXACTLY the spec he wanted and didn't go back and forth with spec changes or exploring ideas for what he may or may not want. Two quick emails and we were done ironing out what the guitar would be.

I've come to realise that if you have to spend excessive hours, weeks or months effectively being a "consultant" either on the phone or by email/messenger, going over design issues and thrashing out minute details then the cost of the guitar needs to be much higher to cover those lost hours or it's not a viable proposition to be building guitars, especially when you have a queue of repairs you could be attending to.

We've been building less guitars of late because our good fretwork reputation has kept us very busy with repair work, but we do like turning out pretty guitars as long as the consultation & admin side of that doesn't become a ball-ache.

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    Looks amazing. What does the Earvana nut do, out of interest?
    tFB Trader
    Looks amazing. What does the Earvana nut do, out of interest?
    It makes things more in tune , correcting some tuning oddities that annoy many players. 
    The benefits have been detailed elsewhere but for the most part it is getting rid of notes near the nut coming up slightly sharp even though the 12th fret intonation is correctly set. I find that they help guitars have more of a musical zing too.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    That's great.  I know the Strat/Tele hybrid thing doesn't work for everybody but I really like it.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    Thankfully Jon who ordered this knew EXACTLY the spec he wanted and didn't go back and forth with spec changes or exploring ideas for what he may or may not want. Two quick emails and we were done ironing out what the guitar would be.

I've come to realise that if you have to spend excessive hours, weeks or months effectively being a "consultant" either on the phone or by email/messenger, going over design issues and thrashing out minute details then the cost of the guitar needs to be much higher to cover those lost hours or it's not a viable proposition to be building guitars, especially when you have a queue of repairs you could be attending to.

We've been building less guitars of late because our good fretwork reputation has kept us very busy with repair work, but we do like turning out pretty guitars as long as the consultation & admin side of that doesn't become a ball-ache.

@FelineGuitars ; That looks amazing what an awesome dad!

I can imagine all of the time you spend dealing with tire kickers must be a real drain on your business.

I'm always really careful not to bombard companies with loads of questions unless I feel I'm really close to making a purchase.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Oh my!! I want one of those!!!!
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581

@FelineGuitars ; That looks amazing what an awesome dad!

I can imagine all of the time you spend dealing with tire kickers must be a real drain on your business.

I'm always really careful not to bombard companies with loads of questions unless I feel I'm really close to making a purchase.
    More importantly, it’s the tire kickers that put the overall price up for the genuine buyers - the time and effort required to deal with any enquiry has to be paid for somehow....
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Wow!! That is a stunner. Well done and lucky young lady.
    tFB Trader
    We generally have brilliant, easy times speccing out a guitar and building a stunner for them, but you get someone who does endless messages and calls (often out of hours) which eventually fails to become an order, or you get a customer who wants to micro-manage you while you do work for them and that destroys your will to live or to carry on making stuff.

We try to keep that to a minimum, but when it happens it really puts you off doing this for a living.