A look inside a new 2019 Les Paul 60s Standard

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    peteri said:

They're heading the right direction, and the change from last year is massive - so hopefully that will continue
    Just think about it - How much business Gibson generate with so many negative comments and have done so for many many years - If they can improve their attention to detail, then it can only be a good thing for all
    I think most of the naysayers who rush to find an issue with a Gibson and then proclaim it to be an absolute dog sh*t guitar wouldn't buy a Gibson anyways.  It's just not for them.

Like you say, if they can iron out these problems then things can only get better for the company.

From my albeit experience I've never seen a guitar player more excited to own a guitar than when they buy their first Gibson.  It's like a bucket list thing for a lot guitar players and it's like: "finally, I have a Gibson guitar!" regardless it be a custom shop or a studio model. 

It's cliched to hell but I think their slogan "only a Gibson is good enough" has really persuaded people who buy one that nothing else comes close.  

I think they're making some really good steps in the right direction because I don't think anybody wants to see Gibson go out of business.  Unlike Fenders which come across assembled a Gibson comes across like it's been crafted and I think that has a very big appeal even to this day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    @Arktik83 spot on.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2414
    Got my 2019 60s Standard earlier - plays very well, albeit the fretboard was dry as a bone. Just giving it some TLC, installing some other pickups, shielding the cavities, oiling the fretboard and putting heavier strings on it etc.

But so far, I can't see anything amiss - apart from them having the sodding scratchplate on by default!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14289
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Some think a Plekt leaves the frets to flat and prefer more of a rounded crown top - But it should make them all level

The first Plek'd guitar I ever had was an ES-339, around 2010.  It felt fine, but at one point Jonathan at @FelineGuitars did a bit of a setup, I think he created some "fall away" on the upper frets - and then it felt a whole lot better.
    Agree that a skilled luthier can finish of what a plek doesn't appear to offer - Maybe the set-up on the Plek that GIbson use, but see less of an issue on a Suhr Plek set-up, with more rounded tops than with Gibson - This is not having a go at Gibson, just an observation
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14289
    edited May 2019 tFB Trader
    Arktik83 said:
    peteri said:

They're heading the right direction, and the change from last year is massive - so hopefully that will continue
    Just think about it - How much business Gibson generate with so many negative comments and have done so for many many years - If they can improve their attention to detail, then it can only be a good thing for all
    I think most of the naysayers who rush to find an issue with a Gibson and then proclaim it to be an absolute dog sh*t guitar wouldn't buy a Gibson anyways.  It's just not for them.

Like you say, if they can iron out these problems then things can only get better for the company.

From my albeit experience I've never seen a guitar player more excited to own a guitar than when they buy their first Gibson.  It's like a bucket list thing for a lot guitar players and it's like: "finally, I have a Gibson guitar!" regardless it be a custom shop or a studio model. 

It's cliched to hell but I think their slogan "only a Gibson is good enough" has really persuaded people who buy one that nothing else comes close.  

I think they're making some really good steps in the right direction because I don't think anybody wants to see Gibson go out of business.  Unlike Fenders which come across assembled a Gibson comes across like it's been crafted and I think that has a very big appeal even to this day.
    Totally agree - They are the envy of so many other businesses - They do not need to look to promote their business to a large degree - The history of pop n rock does so much for them and its free promotion - Gibson have succeeded with strong sales, for so many years, despite so many internal issues - Nail such issues and it can only be a huge step forward - Yes buying your first Gibson is such a joy for so many and means so much - I bet many can remember what it was they purchased, which shop they purchased it from and how much it cost - PRS would love to have the history that Gibson have

It is almost as though in the past, that they could get away with a 'lethargic attention to detail' as they know that to many potential customers 'that only a GIbson is good enough' was still the main priority
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited May 2019
    Arktik83 said:
    peteri said:

Far too sensible, we all know all Gibson guitars are rubbish. I myself can't abide listening to any music made with a Gibson. If I do I just can't focus on the music, all I think about is how the guitars probably aren't aesthetically perfect. Shudder.

That said, I do rather like music made on a fender that looks like its been dragged behind a truck down the M1 for a few miles.

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Arktik83 said:
    peteri said:

I bought my Gibson with high expectations and have to admit because I completely fell for the "only a Gibson is good enough" idea. 

I was initially very put off as it had quite bad quality problems such as scrapes and a kind of knot like dent on the fretboard. But also a large part of the disappointment was that I'd only played Strats and the weight distribution and balance felt wrong.

I was going to sell it but due to the shifts I work and having a new born baby, it wasn't practical to sell so I put it in to a shop not expecting much but received a miracle job and the quality problems are fixed.

Also got more used to the LP shape and have added a bit of weight to the headstock (stuck some tungsten putty to a clip) and it's actually now my favourite guitar.

I could be completely fooling myself but it really does feel more like someone has made it rather than a machine run by a computer. I think the imperfections might be a big part of that. Rustic guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Spot on @Arktik83 . A Gibson was the first "about a grand" guitar I owned. It wasn't perfect but the way it played, the way it smelled, that thin nitro finish... and yes that headstock shape and the Gibson decal on it. It just felt special.

But still (and reading the other "new line-up" thread) - all the talk of super dry fingerboards, glue overspills, string alignment stuff... It's so strange, it's like discussing the quirks of cheap but loveable obscure import guitars, not £2k flagship products from the oldest company in the game! :)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d be worried about someone giving one of my guitars such a detailed examination; they might find problems I never knew I had. Ignorance is bliss. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2414
    Spot on @Arktik83 . A Gibson was the first "about a grand" guitar I owned. It wasn't perfect but the way it played, the way it smelled, that thin nitro finish... and yes that headstock shape and the Gibson decal on it. It just felt special.

But still (and reading the other "new line-up" thread) - all the talk of super dry fingerboards, glue overspills, string alignment stuff... It's so strange, it's like discussing the quirks of cheap but loveable obscure import guitars, not £2k flagship products from the oldest company in the game! :)
    That was me that mentioned all those issues; to be fair, the dry fretboards on the 4 models I tried could have been due to transport.... Maybe?

However, they were all shipped tuned up...  Which I was pretty shocked at. Everything was under tension from Nashville, which I imagine could have caused issues.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    All the naysayers soon change their tune when it comes to the blow out sales
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    All the naysayers soon change their tune when it comes to the blow out sales
    Kind of changes the “value for money” calculation I guess. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom