Help with wiring

What's Hot
WildWayzWildWayz Frets: 90
edited May 2019 in Making & Modding
Hi all,

I'm switching out the 3 pickups in my guitar Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Roasted Maple and upgrading the switches and pots too.

My new pickups are:

Iron Gear Blues Engine (N)

Iron Gear Jailhouse Rail II (M)

Iron Gear Dirty Torque (B)

I have a 5 way blade switch

DPDT Mini Toggle (for coil split)

1 X Pot (LOG) - Tone

1 x Push-Push Pot (LOG) - Volume

.022uf orange drop capacitor

22awg pretinned wire (cloth)

Tinned copper wire

The Jailhouse Rail II is a blade single coil, so a mini humbucker.

In terms of setting for my iron, what should it be set to?

Just trying to work out the wiring for it in advance

I'd like to split the neck and middle humbuckers. Bridge to be left as just a humbucker.
I'd like the tone knob to control the overall tone for all the pickups.

The volume knob to have a PUSH-PUSH pot.

I'm thinking this:

Or use the mini-toggle as the kill switch - just to cut signal...

Also, with that diagram - when you take the green and white pickup wires - do I solder them together, then solder some more wire to those two? And can all the grounds go to the Tone pot? So it kinda spiders out? And on the push-pull pot, do I solder from the bottom 2 contacts to ground?

According to that - am I right in thinking that this would only split the heck and bridge pickups?

As for soldering irons - I have this. What should I set the heat to and recommended tip?

Thanks

James

Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14465
    Suggestion #1 - Have the push-push pot be your tone control.

The tone pot gets less use than the volume. Hence, it will take longer to wear out. 

The resistance track and wiper on “dime” pots tend to be less precise in use. 

If your guitar has a vibrato system, the arm and the tone pot should be out of each other’s way.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    Agree about the tone being better for push push pot.
    If you only want to split two of the humbuckers you can simplify the wiring buy using one side of the side of the switch per pickup. Then the 5 way can be wired as normal.
    As for the earthing, all onto the back of the vol pot is standard. You need to be careful not to cook the pot. Silly question: is the cavity deep enough for the push push pot?
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    The coil split wiring on the switch is wrong - in fact, it's unnecessary to run the coil splits via the pickup selector switch at all. Simply connect the green/white wires from the middle and neck pickups directly to where the yellow wires go on the push-pull - that will improve reliability.

The only reason for going via the pickup selector switch would be if you wanted to split all three pickups.

If you don't use the pickup selector for the coil splitting you can then improve reliability of the main switching by paralleling the two sides of the switch as well. (Connect 4-5 - ie do *not* remove the link - 1-6, 2-7 and 3-8.)

As Funkfingers said, I would make the tone control the push-pull since push-pulls can have poor tapers, as well as for reliability.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WildWayzWildWayz Frets: 90
    edited May 2019
    Thanks all

In terms of grounding, would it be like this (the grey wires I added - with the final point going to the ground on the jack? Also to ground from the bridge to pot...

Also - soldering iron - what temp should I set my 60w iron to?

And on the Push-Pull - where the grounding is - do I ground BOTH contacts in the above?
    Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
    On the switch section of the push/push (or push/pull) pot, bridge the two terminals nearest the potentiometer chassis. Then, connect from one or other of the terminals to ground.

In the interests of neatness, I would use the side of the pot chassis or the switch casing. The path to ground will be completed by the connections leaving the third terminal on the pot.
  • WildWayzWildWayz Frets: 90
    edited May 2019
    On the switch section of the push/push (or push/pull) pot, bridge the two terminals nearest the potentiometer chassis. Then, connect from one or other of the terminals to ground.

In the interests of neatness, I would use the side of the pot chassis or the switch casing. The path to ground will be completed by the connections leaving the third terminal on the pot.
    So more like this?

WildWayz said:
    like this?

Affirmative.