2»

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Jimbro66 said:
    Fuengi said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    ICBM said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    @ICBM how does the clean sound of the Maverick compare with the clean of the Trem-O-Verb? The latter was one of the very nicest clean amps I’ve ever used and it was only the combo’s extreme weight that forced me to part with it. That same clean sound in a 1x12 would be very appealing.
    It's completely different despite being also called a 'Dual Rectifier series'. Much more Fendery/Voxy - more 'chime' than that effortless massive power of the Trem-o-verb. But you can probably get something similar enough from it in actual use - I always found it easy to get a great clean sound, it was the dirty channel I didn't quite get on with, it was great when it was just right, but very touchy and guitar-sensitive. It doesn't really like humbuckers, which wasn't ideal as I was mostly using a PRS at the time.
    Thanks for that info ICBM. The thing about the Trem-o-Verb was it not only sounded fantastic with my various Tele configurations but just as good with the 335. A hard act to follow.

Anyway, HNAD @Fuengi. It looks a little beauty :)
    Thanks, if you're ever in the vicinity you would be welcome to come have a try. 
    Ah thanks. I might well take you up on that but the way things change hands on this forum I’d better be quick :D 
    I had my last amp three years, this is not going anywhere soon!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2528
    Nice one, looks lovely and plenty of knobs to tweak. I am gong to be spoiled for choice in July ;)
    Nice one, looks lovely and plenty of knobs to tweak. I am gong to be spoiled for choice in July ;)
    Yep, we should keep you entertained Jim! 
    Have just spent a bit of time setting up the drive channel and it sounds really rather good. 

Lots of reviews and comments about the clean channel being amazing on the Maverick, but the drive channel not so much. On the basis of that I have not used it much because the clean channel is lovely.

Anyway, spent a little time this afternoon working on the volume settings of the drive channel. It's a really tricky balance between the volume and master volume to get something that isn't deafening and something that doesn't lose all the frequency (I think that is what's being lost). Boosted the treble and cut back the bass , the drive channel is really bassy - and got something really good and very usable, nice it of saturated drive with more grit when you dig in. 

Fantastic amp. 
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    That is the cleanest looking Mav I've seen.  Congrats on a good score.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    Cheers, I love it. 

Actually download and read the manual today and there is a fat switch for the rhythm channel on the back, who knew?! Provides a nice third option. 

Also helped me to understand the FX Loop. They recommend turning your effect up to 100% wet and then dialing in the amount of FX Loop volume you want with the control knob, this retains the best tone for the amp. 

It worked really well for delay but not so much for the Tremolo on the Flint. I'm tempted to put that through the front end anyway. 

The lead channel really is absolutely great with a Thorpy Fat General in front of it. 
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    I don't use the loop on my Mesa at all.  Everything (only 4 pedals) in to the front.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    Little service job today on the Mesa. Opened it up for the first time, a couple of shots of the inners including this intriguing taped note...

Is this a Mesa engineer note @ICBM ;?

The controls responded very well to spray of contact cleaner.