Damaged goods

What's Hot
AtchinTanAtchinTan Frets: 5
It’s my first post so by way of introduction I used to play a lot but now fall almost into the dentist category of player.

I recently bought a LPB Johnny Marr Jag online, not many places stock them and they are apparently discontinued so it was sight unseen but brand new (as reflected in the price). It was delivered fine, when I opened it up I noticed a chip out of the nut. It’s small, doesn’t interfere with playing and I love the guitar but it didn’t sit right with me. Flagged to the retailer who offered me £30 money back. Should I take it?

I love the guitar, it plays great, getting another one seems like it would be a pain BUT £30 feels a bit low as recompense to me? Less than it would cost the retailer if I returned it, less than it would cost to fix, I think less than the amount it knocks off resale... has anyone got any similar experience, recommendations etc? Pictures below, there’s a mark under the “bed” of the nut too which I’m holding is cosmetic only unless someone says different. Any help/advice much appreciated!

https://i.imgur.com/YVUhABy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/s0Jqytj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kOF2sq3.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Hello Fella. Welcome to the forum.

If you love everything about this guitar except the nut, get a quote for a new nut from a local tech and ask the company to pay that much - seems reasonable right?

If you're not that bothered, just send it back and get another one that isn't damaged. £30 isn't much really, it wouldn't cover a replacement nut.
  • Any plan to sell it? If it’s a keeper I wouldn’t be overly fussed. It’s for making music with. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14452
    Depending where you are in the UK, thirty Quid might cover the price of a professional nut repair or replacement.

Looking at the photographs, it ought to be possible to replace the missing nut material with a mixture of bone dust and adhesive, followed by a bit of file work.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1621
    A proper dentist could fill that.

Personally I would take the 30 quid if you love the thing. You might send it back and get sent another you like less 

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    It’s annoying but if you otherwise like the guitar id take the £30 and put it towards getting a good luthier to put in a new bone nut. The nut on my tele needed changed straight away (string spacing not right) and it only cost £40ish.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5861
    On the first pic, it also seems to be cracked in the wood where it is seated?
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18818
    edited May 2019
    Hi, Looks (to me) like it's had a minor blow to the nut/top edge. Hence the chip & apparent lacquer crack below. I'm not up to date with nut replacement charges, but I would feel that £40-50 might possibly be nearer the cost. However... a lot depends on how much you paid for the guitar, as you might not be able to get a replacement or another good deal?
    More members far more experienced than me will help out. Sit tight.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Get an estimate to fix from a good tech - in writing - send them that and tell them either they pay, or it’s going back (with them paying shipping etc)

Im reasonably confident they’ll pay.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18818
    @ICBM ; any thoughts /suggestions?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    I would take the £30 and keep it. It's clearly had a small knock on the nut which has chipped the corner and cracked the lacquer under it, but unless it interferes with the string staying properly in the groove it's really not important. Personally I would smooth down the corners of the nut anyway, which would remove most of the damage - I don't like sharp nuts .

If it's still visible you can use some superglue and some of the dust from the bit you just filed off to fill it.

Don't send a good guitar back for such a trivial fault, when the replacement may not be as good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AtchinTanAtchinTan Frets: 5
    Bowled over by the swift responses, set my mind at rest about keeping it/settling quickly. Thanks very much for the advice!
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    For the sake of balance I would fume and send it back.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    Changing a nut isn't that difficult. Why not ask for the correct replacement nut plus £20? 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Just double check the whole guitar, and if you are happy ask for a local nut replacement quote, then go back to them with that.