New Birch Cab Build, speaker recommendations

What's Hot
Evening all

Im building a new cab on the weekend, mainly to run with my new Marshall Origin 20 head.

I'm planning on building two baffles a 1x12 and a 2x10, interchangeable.

Im sorted for 12s to try, I have an Alnico Blue and a Creamback both 8ohm 

For The twin 10s I have a stock Celestion from my Fender 68 princeton RI. Suggestions on the second? Or should I grab 2 x 4ohm?

I’m planning on using this for mostly home use so going to angle the cab like a monitor, so the speakers are pointing towards ear level, instead of foot level.

cheers

TC

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Most of the work complete today, just waiting on the speaker jack, second 10 inc speaker (p10Q), rubber feet and handle to arrive.

BB grade 18mm birch ply, assembled with a Festool Domino (crazily good tools), settled on a baffle angle of 22.5 degrees. Torn between the contrasting look of the birch and the Oxblood grille, Or a dark stained cab with the lighter wheat grille?

2 interchangeable baffles:
    1x12 Celestion alnico blue
    2x10 Stock Celestion and a Jensen P10Q 

Feels like I might have started on a 2x10 journey to see what sounds I can get out of various combinations, feel free to PM me if you have a used one for sale!

i have enough ply left over from the sheet to whip up another baffle (maybe 2) so might try one with a 12 and a 10, thoughts?

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    That's looking good! 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1778
    That looks amazing, I think the wheat clothe is my preferred but they’re both nice.
    I’m interested to hear how that angle works out as it looks like it makes a lot of sense for a home setup.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Cheers @BigMonka I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Can’t wait to hear it with both 10s running.

Might even make myself another smaller angled cab for a single 12...

• LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    Nice work, all looks very sharp.

Out of interets, what type of saw did you use to cut the wood?
    Thanks mate, we used my dewalt rail saw for all the cuts. Leaves a very clean edge with only some 240 grit apparel to smooth them off.
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited May 2019
    Can't go wrong with Dewalt. I used my Dewalt 745 table saw for mine. Excellent pro tools. 
    Agreed @LordOxygen , Dewalt were my go to tools back in my carpentry days.

The 10 inch Jensen Alnico arrived on Saturday and sounds great with Celestion, very happy with the 2x10 set up.

Ive had the Marshall Origin 20 head and my 68 Princeton Reverb running through it. Just need to figure out how I can wire it up to plug in both amps to the same cab (switching between the amps is sorted)